• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best flight ever.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
OK Air Warriors, What was your best hop ever? I reckon with all the salt on this forum there are probably a ton of good "There I was..." tales. I wrote the following story for the base paper and you can use it to prime the pump:
The Perfect Flight
A lot of pilots dream of or have experienced at least one perfect flight. The kind of flight that justifies all the hours spent studying and rushing the recruiting process. All those endless nights cramming Bold Face Items before a check ride. In my career I’ve flown flights that not only justified all the effort but, looking back on them, could also be described as “perfect” flights.
The first one that comes to mind was when I was a newly winged aviator waiting to start the A-6 RAG at NAS Oceana. We were on hold for about 6 months, so the Navy was nice enough to give us NATOPS quals in the T-34, which VA-42 kept for logistics, proficiency and target spotting purposes. Some good memories were made in that old primary trainer with the fan up front. Even way back then most pilots never got a chance to fly without supervision. One beautiful morning I was out by my lonesome shooting touch-and goes at Elizabeth City Coast Guard Air Station. On my second pass I noticed a red pick-up truck parked alongside the road just below me. There was a man standing beside it and two kids in the back jumping up and down and pointing every time I flew over. I stayed there doing touch and goes for as long as fuel permitted, happy in the knowledge that, to a couple of 6 year old kids, I was a hero that day.
Another “perfect flight” was one dark night off the Virginia Capes with my A-6 squadron. I was a salty LTJG, newly reported and we were all going out for refresher CQ on EISENHOWER just after she came out of the yards. What I didn’t realize was that a carrier just out from overhaul, with empty fuel and ammo bunkers, bobs around like a cork in rough seas. The VACAPES can be pretty rough in December, at least they were in 1993. I didn’t know enough back then to appreciate how hard that flight was. The ball on the Fresnel lens was only visible as it raced from the top to the bottom, but Paddles was giving good talkdowns each pass and by the end of the night, I had successfully qual’d. That was the flight that convinced me I wanted to become an LSO.
Another memorable flight was during the early days of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. A huge weather system had that entire part of the world enveloped in low clouds, blowing dust or just general “don’t fly at all” weather. In those days there were only about 1000 Special Operations Force (SOF) troops in Northern Iraq versus 10 Iraqi divisions – over 100,000 personnel. A SOF unit in north-eastern Iraq was under imminent danger of being overrun by a large enemy force. With all Tac Air in theater grounded their situation was, at the very least, dire. Our Battle Group Commander made the decision to launch a strike package into 0/0 conditions, with a forecast of 0/0 on return and pretty much throughout the entire Area of Operations. It was two long hours to the big-wing Air Force tanker over southern Turkey, followed by in-flight refueling in the clouds after a RADAR rendezvous. Arriving on station and making contact on the radio, you could hear the explosions and weapons fire in the background they relayed coordinates to use for the attack. Each aircraft made at least two runs against the enemy forces using several different types of weapons. The enemy broke off their assault and never regrouped until after the weather had cleared a few days later, ensuring on-call air support was always available. The flight back to the ship was a repeat of the tanking evolution followed 2 hours later by a 0300 approach down to bare minimums. That one was an eye-opener.
At least five more flights have to be included. They are the five fly-offs after a long deployment back to the warm embrace of my loved ones ashore. Unforgettable.
I’m sure that I could probably puzzle out a couple others and I hope to fly a few more before I’m done, but that’s enough for now. There really isn’t a common thread to these flights and I guess that presents its own lesson. You never know when you’re going to have a “perfect” flight, so be prepared on all of them. Your flying career will present you with untold challenges - some expected and some not. Always be ready meet those challenges and enjoy the ride.
God Bless,
Cowboy

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm not a pilot, but I'll throw in one of my 'cool flights'

While stationed at HSC-22, I stood up the SAR program and was responsible for the squadron's initial SAR evaluation. When I was selected for STA-21 in October '07, I was still required to leave that November and catch the first part of a USNS VertRep cruise on the Arctic. Around January, I had about 1400 hours in the bird and still no rescues.

We launched at 0600 for a ten hour day of stocking the carrier flight deck with groceries. As we flew around waiting for the boats to get within sight of each other, the crew had some time to eat and shoot the shit. In the back I commented that if we didn't get some SAR action soon, I probably would never get the chance (I was leaving within two weeks).

Lo and behold, around 1100 the Airboss reports a British MV cutting across the UnRep track and asks us to go see WTF was going on. As we approach, we find the British cargo boat trying to attend to a life raft that had drifted near it. After much communication, we were told to get a swimmer in the water and ended up pulling 7 Pakistani fisherman (smugglers) out of the water. Their dhow has broken up in a storm the previous night and they had been on the water for about 18 hours.

SO...I stood up the SAR program at -22 and was the CC for the first rescue...pretty memorable for me.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Every flight I had was my best flight ever because I was blessed to be living my dream, doing what I felt I was meant to do. And it didn't hurt that the number of times I took off equalled the number of times I landed.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Cool story, Zip. I got chills! No, really... Actually I would have thought a guy who had as much single-seat, single engine time as you would at least have one flight that seemed a little more memorable than "every flight". I do agree with the living the dream part, though. We definitley all are. Just sometimes the nightmares make better stories. Cheers

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Cool story, Zip. I got chills! No, really... Actually I would have thought a guy who had as much single-seat, single engine time as you would at least have one flight that seemed a little more memorable than "every flight". I do agree with the living the dream part, though. We definitley all are. Just sometimes the nightmares make better stories. Cheers

Actually, I did sit here for about twenty minutes thinking about some memorable flights, and each time I thought of one that stood out, another popped into my mind that was better. Sure, some were good memories, some bad, some funny, some horrific. I never flew in combat but still witnessed destruction and death. I never was part of a humanitarian mission, saving lives. I never set any records. In a way, my flight time was very un-remarkable. Yet most of the time when I went flying was thrilling to me and there were times I got the you-know-what scared out of me.....sure, I had close calls, too many near-misses to count. And how do you describe the sunsets and sunrises we have the opportunity to experience, especially to someone who has never done this. So rather than try to list one or two that stood out, I'm just going to thank the good Lord Almighty for watching over me my entire career, ensuring I walked away from every aircraft I manned up, and having the opportunity to serve my country doing what I always dreamed of doing. Yes, every flight was my best.

And Cowboy....no offense taken.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I had no intention of bringing a halt to this thread, I was just expressing my feelings. Come on you guys, let's hear some good stories. Cowboy got it started, keep it going!

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
I'm just a lowly GA pilot right now, but to me, I've already had some memorable flights:

That second date, with that girl, in that C150, with that perfect sunset. ;)

That second date, with that other girl, in that other C150, with that perfect timing of the puke on short final... :eek: haha...i still laugh. :D

Going for In-n-Out burgers, on a whim, 4 hours each direction, and bringing over 20 burgers back for friends who found out we were headed there.

Flying the plane I spent three years of my life helping design, cross-country, and knowing it'd be the only time I'd get to fly her. :(

And my crowning achievement: :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• evoking.jpg
    evoking.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 628

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A lot of great flights in my career and some that involved a fair amount of oh crap moments but one of them most enjoyable was unexpected.

We were part of the combined Prowler wing operating out of Aviano AB in northern Italy for the Kosovo debacle. As a combined wing you didn't know who's jets you were going to get assigned and one of the other squadrons who shall remain nameless (Oh hell, it was the Yellowjackets! Damn bugs :D ) got in a wrestling match with a 135 one dark night over the Adriatic. They bent the probe about 45 degrees to the left with an off-center engagement or disengagement or some such story.

They got back to Aviano fine and the Grummies looked at it and said 2000 man hours of work. Step one would be remove the entire front cockpit and replace the pressure bulkhead that was crunched. This wasn't going to happen there so they took the probe off, squirted some goop in it and we took it flying and it pressurized fine.

So, how to get a Prowler home a different route vice the standard Translant? Put four drops on it (and four more for your wingman) and fly the following route Aviano to Lakenheath to Keflavik to Sondrestrom Fiord Greenland to Goose Bay Labradore to Brunswick and home to NAF Andrews.

We did it over two days with a night at Kef and a night in Brunwick. We had the troops following us with a VR C-130 in case there were any issues but both jets did fine and we got some neat checks in the block.

- Remembering what the heck PTAPTP stood for!

- Looking out the front of the jet at the unpredicted low clouds that were ahead, seeing nothing on the radar and realizing you were crossing the edge of the polar ice pack. Hmmm, this flight suit and t-shirt likely doesn't meet the 3710 dry suit requirement does it?

- Landing about 40 miles above the arctic circle in Greenland. Not a check may tacair guys get. The visual approach there was down the edge of the fiord, a descending right turn into the fiord that you then flew up to find the 13,000 runway at the bottom with 3K hills on both sides. No, the break wasn't workable.:eek:

- My VP buddy picking me up at the Q in Brunswick with wife, kids and his Boston Whaler in tow and running out into Casco Bay and stopping at an island lobster shack to eat and drink in the Maine summer time.

It was a really fun event, saw some neat stuff and while I'm sure today it would require all kinds of risk management stuff at the time we just broke out a WAC and called to make sure the fields were open called the VR guys and the skipper said go. Of course there was something like 16,000 hours of Prowler time between the two jets and the skipper was an American Airlines first officer flying international so we had a decent experience base to work from. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"Best flight"??? .... w/ nearly 25K hours ??? ... I've had 'several' .... and there's NO WAY to quantify this ... other than to note: I'm still alive. :)

Kinda' like sayin' 'what was your best date' ...

Bevo16

pilot
My best flight was a series of flights.

The 2005 cruise on Vinson was an "around the world" trip. West coast carrier had to go in for it's mid-life overhaul, so we left San Diego and dropped it off in Norfolk. I was paired with our XO for fly-off and and the return trip. That was a good draw for me because he was a great guy to fly with AND his parents had a beach house on the outer banks. Instead of flying into Norfolk and staying at the Q overnight, we went into Elizabeth City Coast Guard Air Station and drove to the beach. His parents really threw a heck of a party for us (4 pilots, 2 AW's, 4 maintainers). Even though we were a long way from home, it was a great "homecoming".

The next 4 days I got to fly from coast to coast of this amazing nation and see the entire country at 150 feet and below. We broke down in Ashville for a night, limped to Memphis the next day after our AD1 worked some magic on the APU (and I stole a tire iron from a crew car to pump up the accumulator). If you are going to break down somewhere, Memphis is a good place. We went to a Redbirds game, ate some ribs and called it a night. The next day we got the APU fixed and went from Memphis to Tuscon in 3 legs (swamp ass). Oh, and the last leg into Tuscon was through a thunderstorm so heavy that we lost GPS signal, and our rad-alt went out. To keep from flying into a mountain or tower we just got over I-10 and followed that all the way to the air field. There are no tunnels in I-10 and no towers directly over the interstate, so we were covered. We somehow managed to get all 7 of our helos back into San Diego in formation on the 4th day.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sooooooooooooooo ... no one here has a 'ONE best flight' ... right???

Just a series or a collection of 'memorable flights' ... ???

Some of my friends died on flights ... I saw two of 'em die. It was their 'last flight'. I didn't like it, but I didn't die ...

Mebbe THAT's a 'best flight' ... :confused:

Some of you guys .... I mean ... really. :sleep_125

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I didn't really think it was that hard a request. Maybe I should've just said, "Tell everyone about a flight or several that you remembered that seemed to make all the hard times and sacrifices worthwhile." Next time I'll just go for "Best rack I ever saw" stories...Oh, c'mon! Of course I mean hunting... ya degenerates.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Most memorable flight for me happened in The 'Stan, a little past the midway point of the deployment. What made it the best was what happened a few days after the flight.

We launched into a beautiful Afghan evening.. sun still up, just setting over the Hindu Kush. Awesome sight. I'm thinking what a way to start a flight. We fly over some beautiful scenery, and check in on station. Nothing is going on. So we loiter, hit the tanker and check back in, and shit has hit the fan. Guys on the ground are getting into it with some insurgent dudes, and a single Prowler is the only air support availible. So we do what we do, hit the tanker, come back and do it some more. We finally get cleared off station and go home after a long flight.

Fast forward 3 or 4 days, I'm sitting in the DFAC eating lunch. This random Army 1LT who looks like he's been to hell and back comes up to me nd asked me if I'm a Prowler guy, to wich I answer in the affirmative. He then asks me if I knew which crew gave him suport a few days ago. After he tells me the time, location and JTAC callsign, I tell him it was my crew. He then gives me the unclass version of what happened, and that we were the only aircraft overhead. It turns out that because of us, he got to bring ALL of his soldiers home.. ALIVE that day.

I bitched and moaned througout that flight. I felt horrible for doing that after talking to the 1LT. I never bitched about another mission after that. That one mission made every hour of ground work, shitty RAG/VT flight and the whole damn deployment worth it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I didn't really think it was that hard a request. Maybe I should've just said, "Tell everyone about a flight or several that you remembered that seemed to make all the hard times and sacrifices worthwhile." Next time I'll just go for "Best rack I ever saw" stories...Oh, c'mon! Of course I mean hunting... ya degenerates.
I think you're a good guy ... I appreciate your posts and I'd like to sit down and have a beer or ten w/ you and swap lies ....

We just see this stuff differently ...

E.O.D.