• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best path to SNA and college??

Status
Not open for further replies.

heerothewizard

I'm interested in becoming a SNA, and i was wondering which of these is the best way to achieve a SNA slot:
1) NROTC
2) OCS
3) USNA
Also, I want a good college education so if I decide not to become a career officer, I can find a good job after joining the Navy.

Which of these paths to comissioning is the best to get a SNA slot and get a good education?
Also, is there a form of Comissioning that I missed??

Thanks
^_^

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

jaerose

Here's the rundown. It's really going to depend on your goals. If you have no money for college, no college credits and just need a scholarship, then the NROTC program would be a very good choice. As I understand it, you would attend any college that has a NROTC program, but you'll take leadership courses and PT while you're there so that upon graduation you're commissioned.

OCS is for after you obtain your degree, other than NROTC. If you have some college credits, then you could apply for the BDCP and a pilot spot, which puts you on active duty with a salary, as well as tax free food and housing allowances. You can be in the program for up to 2.5 years. It doen't pay for your college, though, so you'd need to make other arrangements for that. That's the program I'm in and I've been on active duty for >2 years, which counts for pay increases and possibly retirement. I'll be going to OCS this August 2nd for SNA and upon commissioning I'll have >3 years in so I'll be maxed out at the O-1 paygrade...not too bad.

USNA is a good choice, too, depending on what experience you want. I understand it to be very prestigious, but also very, very strict. Do it if you want something extremely challenging that requires sacrifice and dedication (not unlike the other two, but for a longer duration)...but in turn you'll get a great education and commission upon graduation.

As far as getting selected for SNA goes, you'll have to take the ASTB and other required tests and physicals to see if you even qualify for SNA. It's a very competitive program and lately I have been reading that the slots are hard to get. You'll have to have good grades, eyes, health and show an exceptional aptitude for being an officer and an aviator. Well, I hope that helps. Good luck with which ever option you pursue.

JR

rare21

pilot
Contributor
go for rotc u still have a college life and get college paid for at the same time. and all i have heard is that the easiest pipeline to get aviation is through the rotc. This is what my XO told me and I got aviation. This is just what i heard but i know of academy guys who hate life and say to get aviation is more competitive than people hear.

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
In the class of 2003 there were 268 SNA's and and 80 SNFO's for the Navy side of the house. There were also 47 SNA's and 3 SNFO's in the Marine side. This is out of a class of 986. These 4 communities account for roughly %40 of the entire class. This is somewhat normal. The number of Marine aviators changes from year to year. It has become fairly competitive to get an air slot. As for Academy life, I love it here. But I'm one of the few who do. If you want a very structured education with not much time for partying then the Academy is a good place to be. If not have fun partying in NROTC and we'll still get the same commission and have the same chances for success in the fleet.

RJ
USNA '05

Semper Fi!
Go Navy! Beat Army!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i think maybe i'm confusing the aviation selection with the Marine selection at the naval academy. i think that was the one that was much harder to get through the academy then through rotc. in nrotc you just go marine option and do what they make you do. in the academy i hear you dont know till the end and its more competitive but i may be wrong. still my xo told me that nrotc was the easiest way to get aviation so i believe him. two of our advisors graduated from the academy and they say when they look back at the academy they are glad they did it but if they had it to do over again they'd have gone to my alma mater. but of course thats two Lt.'s opinions and not mine. Still i know that academy ring on their finger still says alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.