• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Time to start OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

heiseycp

I was wondering when was the best time of the year to begin OCS. I have been in contact with my recruiter and will be taking the necessary tests August 15th. I will be graduating from JMU in December 02. If i'm excepted into the program I'd like to start ASAP, but my recruiter told me the Navy is filled until Post-March dates. I know I still have a long way to go in the process but I was just looking for any friendly advice.

Thanks,
CPH

frogggystyle

I got to Pensacola on the 3rd of November when I started OCS. When I got here, I was still sweating my ass off because it was so hot and humid.

When we were in OCS, me and a couple of buddies comtemplated what the best time of year would be to go through OCS. We came up with starting in January.

The reasons -

1) If you start anywhere 12 weeks before Christmas, you will be *required* to take a 2-week break during the holidays because OCS shuts down. This just prolongs the ordeal. Believe me, any more time spent in OCS than required can be agonizing. And, having to come back to that kind of environment after 2 weeks of freedom can be difficult.

2) The summer months can be *brutal* when it comes to the heat and humidity. Outdoor exercise can put the hurt on you during the hotter months.

3) Since OCS is 13 weeks long, if you started in January you would be finishing up when it was almost summer. The weather between January and June is nice, for the most part. Plus, if you stay in the area after OCS, you get to hit the beaches.

mattlowery

i started March 23rd and graduated June 21st. it wasn't that bad at all. the first part was still somewhat Spring weatehr. the 2nd part got a little toastier, but nothing like it is now.i recommend between January and June also. the weather is just getting hot hot and the bathing suits are coming out!

Matt L.

Status
Not open for further replies.