• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to become a navy pilot

naterader1

Hello everyone,

I am a Soph. at the University of Utah and am looking into Navy, more specifically aviation. I was just wondering the best way to not only become an officer but to become an NA. I have looked into the BDCP program and also have questions about the validity that has in actually becoming an NA. So my question then is... which route (BDCP, NROTC, OTC) is best?

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Do we need to put the search button in a highlighted color for people to use it? We are not going to do your research when it already exists on this website.

naterader1

This is simply an inquesition to those who have maybe gone through each of these programs or know of the best route to take. I am a first time user on this website and do not know all the "ins and outs" of it. So if you have any information for me than by all means it would be greatly appreciated.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of the "Search" whatever happened to the Google search that used to be embedded? It doesn't show up on my screen when I click the search drop-down arrow. Lately if I've wanted to search for something with any advanced functions I've just been using Google with the site:www.airwarriors.com tag for the results I wanted.

I'm wondering if this has been brought up earlier but searching for "search" just pulls up about a million hits of people saying "use the search."

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
So my question then is... which route (BDCP, NROTC, OTC) is best?

I think you meant OCS not OTC. Also you forgot about USNA and STA-21 (which is the best ;) ) and last but not least an entirely new way to do it, the flying warrant program.

There are many different paths you can take, like most things in life. You can read about the specifics of each on here as well as find the governing instructions for each program elsewhere on the internet.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
OK...I'll answer quickly...

It depends. There is no "best" option, only the option that fits your lifestyle best. If you like leadership labs/PT/classes about the Navy for 4 years, then ROTC is best. If you just want a 12 week crash course, then BDCP or OCS is your best route. Search around...I'm sure you will find something interesting.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you spoken with the Navy Officer recruiter (BDCP &/or OCS) or the NROTC unit (Scholarship or Advance Standing College Program) at University of Utah? That'd be the first place I'd start. What is your background, degree, GPA, etc? These are all things people want to know. As for what path is better for YOU....that's up to you! Welcome, and for other questions, use the aforementioned SEARCH function at top...third thing from the right.

-ea6bflyr ;)

naterader1

ea6bflyr ,

I have spoken with a recruiter and gotten a handful of information about it. My concern with getting all of my information from a recruiter is that they are more of a "salesman" rather than giving me the straight talk with all the fine print included. As of right now i am majoring in business but have not taken anything pertinent to my major rather i have just been finishing up my generals and am about eight credit hours away from doing so. My current GPA is around a 3.3 and could easily be raised by the end of this semester. My other concern is that I have heard that the aviation aspect of the Navy is extremely competitive especially within the BDCP. Is this enough, or say I do not get accepted do I just go through OCS and then what? I have used the search tool and found some information. My questions are similar to some others but not entirely to the point.

Thank you for helping me out in this regard. :)

red_ryder

None
For one, make sure you're talking to an Officer Recruiter and not the enlisted ones. That does make a difference.

My recommendation is BDCP if this is what you know you want to do. You still get the hands-off college experience as long as you stay out of trouble, and they'll pay for it too.

naterader1

oh yea I did talk to an Officer recruiter. I am about 95% sure that this is the course i want to take. I just worry that I will not have a good enough resume to compete in avation field. I know that the only way to find out is to apply I just wonder if there is anything I should be doing besides raising my GPA

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
If your GPA is lacking, make sure you put a lot of time into studying for the ASTB. Good numbers on one help shadow bad numbers on the other. If you don't have much else to pad your application, think about getting involved in some clubs / community service before you submit everything. There is still a lot you can do now to help you on your path, and you can find most of the information you need by checking around this site.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Do we need to put the search button in a highlighted color for people to use it? We are not going to do your research when it already exists on this website.

I have an idea for a solution. Make a pop-up stating "Did you use the search function yet?" before you create a thread.

Lobster

Again going off of what option works best for you don't limit yourself be sure to keep your options open to everything and have a back up plan. I got rejected from the academy twice, couldn't find a school that wanted to me to play hockey and joint ROTC, and finally was lucky enough to stumble upon a flyer for the BDCP program in my career and counciling services officer here at my school while working on a community service project and now 3 years later I'm in and selected for pilot. As I said keep your options open and have a goal and go for it but also realize that a back up is a good idea or the option that you thought was originally the best might not be. Best of luck to you!