• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

best way to reach that goal?!

meg_dogg

My son is a sophmore in High School, in the NJROTC program, and Athletics Team Commander, as well as holding a staff position for his unit. He has also been recommended (and will be attending) leadership training this summer.
His goal is to be a marine, specifically he wants aviation, and wants to fly a harrier. he also knows it is based on needs at the time, and wants to fly more than demanding it be a harrier, so he is being realistic.
He is doing a lot of research on his own, but he's young, and as his mother, felt i also need some good information as well.
Here are the options we have thought about. Going to Annapolis to the Academy. Going through an NROTC program during college and OCS afterwards. Getting his private license ahead of time (like in the next two years, if it financially possible), so as not to have to go through API, which of course the military will like, as it saves them $$!!, and will help him reach his goal quicker.
He has no idea yet what his major will be, and is just looking into colleges, so no decision there yet, other than the necessity of a NROTC program. His NSI has offered to get him into a summer program where he would spend a few weeks at the academy, to give him an idea of what it is like, he would attend this between his junior and senior year (assuming he keeps his grades up! LOL)
Any thoughts of what the best route to take might be, or other places to get more information would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other advice for such a young person building a good resume in order to reach that goal are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Getting his private license ahead of time (like in the next two years, if it financially possible), so as not to have to go through API, which of course the military will like, as it saves them $$!!, and will help him reach his goal quicker.

This is incorrect. He will not need to go through IFS prior to classing up to API, but he would still be required to attend API and everything else.

What kind of personality does he have? Does he like the idea of being in the environment of a service academy? Or does he prefer to have more individual freedom and live the "college experience"? He will have a good shot at doing what he wants either way, assuming he puts in the hard work. So IMHO it comes down to personal preference.

To add my personal perspective, I never had one shred of a desire to go to the Academy...didn't even consider it. And from everything I have gathered from folks I have talked to, gone to cruise with, seen posts from on here, etc, I made the correct decision for ME. But that is not to say that there aren't a lot of guys out there who loved the academy, would have been bored/undermotivated in NROTC, and found the experience helpful. Of the guys on my 1/c and 2/c middie cruises, every single person (regardless of commissioning source) who wanted aviation is in Pensacola right now.....so that kind of illustrates how little this choice will affect his odds at selection. What it MAY affect is how well he does in school, or how motivated he is to stick with the program. That WILL affect his odds at selection.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I am a humble college student in the process of applying, so take that for what it is.

If he goes to the academy or NROTC, what he does is ultimately up to the needs of the service more than it is if he goes to OCS or PLC. As long as he's willing to serve without flying, that's not a problem (from what I've read, no one should join if they aren't prepared to do something other than fly). But it's something to keep in mind: with OCS and PLC, you sign a contract for a specific job and will usually get that job unless you fail training or medical. Not so with NROTC and the academy.

Also, see this thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140751

meg_dogg

He LOVES the idea of being in a service academy. He is also aware that flying a harrier would mean sleeping in a tent amidst all the action and "roughing it", rather than going back to a hotel. He loves that as well. He is motivated, outgoing, extremely competitive, well rounded, and determined. He is in all Honors courses, and doesn't tend to enjoy things that are "easy", he likes the challenging things much more. Yes IFS, is what I was thinking of, thanks! He does have the advantage of having an NSI (Chief) that was a Naval Aviation Officer, which is who recommended this sight to us.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Double what picaroon said.

Advice? send cookies and money. often.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
...sleeping in a tent amidst all the action and "roughing it", rather than going back to a hotel. He loves that as well.
Sounds like he needs a psych eval. :icon_tong

Honestly, it sounds like he would enjoy being a marine pilot no matter what he flew, and he would probably enjoy being a marine even if he didn't fly. Going to the academy is a good way to find out if he really knows what he is getting in to. After his freshman year, he could always leave and go to a regular college, so nothing is lost there. As he goes along, you both will see you probably have misconceptions about many things that you will never understand until you are in the process. Jump in. If you don't like it, there are plenty of forks in the road that you can change course.

meg_dogg

thanks for the link!! LOL, he will be all on his own, in fact i also refuse to give him any info i come up with at this point, he is checking things out on his own, and i like it that way!! it's his decision to make, not mine, in fact i'd rather see him go navy than marine, but again, his decision. i'd rather he do college and have something to fall back on, but his decision and he will be the one to make the decision as well as make it happen. He has a lot of info he hasn't even shared with me during this process, which is the main reason i am looking for info now!! he doesn't even let me help, which i am honestly very proud of, i've raised him to be independent and self sufficiant, (even though tht's haunting me a little now!LOL)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here are the options we have thought about.

It's great that you're involved w/ your kid and helping through some potentially big decisions. My parents certainly helped me talk through decisions. However, understand that there is no "we." It's his decision. I understand you're trying to get info for your own knowledge, but my first piece of advice is to send him here on his own and have HIM ask the questions.

He LOVES the idea of being in a service academy. He is also aware that flying a harrier would mean sleeping in a tent amidst all the action and "roughing it", rather than going back to a hotel.

A much more important question is: is he ready to "rough it" while flying helos. If the answer isn't as gung-ho, then that might be an important data point.

Going to the academy is a good way to find out if he really knows what he is getting in to. After his freshman year, he could always leave and go to a regular college, so nothing is lost there.

Not necessarily true. Leaving the Academy during Plebe summer is one thing, but leaving after a whole year might not be all that positive a thing on the resume. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not necessarily a "pro." I think many would agree that going to Academy w/ the mindset that you have a fallback plan ready to go isn't always a good thing. I've heard it described as a "parachute" and it often times results in making it easier for a Mid to quit sooner.

meg_dogg

i did notice his creating an account on here earlier, but has military ball tonight, so likely won't post right away! i really hope he does get on here as well, sounds like he'll get a lot of great advice.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not necessarily true. Leaving the Academy during Plebe summer is one thing, but leaving after a whole year might not be all that positive a thing on the resume. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's not necessarily a "pro." I think many would agree that going to Academy w/ the mindset that you have a fallback plan ready to go isn't always a good thing. I've heard it described as a "parachute" and it often times results in making it easier for a Mid to quit sooner.

As someone who applied to USNA more times than I care to count I second this, but for more selfish reasons.

There are several kids out there who have wanted to go to USNA for a long time, they know what they are getting into, they know its going to be hard, and they are willing to commit to the challenge. Thats not to say none of those kids attrite, but my advice would be that if he isn't 110% sure he wants to go to USNA don't take that appointment away from someone who is sure. Look into an ROTC program that better suits his desires and needs. You get the same commission at the end.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
He is also aware that flying a harrier would mean sleeping in a tent amidst all the action and "roughing it", rather than going back to a hotel.

Hahaha, good one.

Does a broken AutoDog int the wardroom count as "roughing it"? :icon_smil