• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Better: Glasses or Contacts while flying?

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
I've got a pilot slot and have a little better than 20/40. I've never worn glasses and didn't want to risk PRK, at least not now.

I understand I'll have to have vision corrected to 20/20 when I fly. I've been experimenting with contacts and poking my own eyeballs is about as fun as running naked backwards through a cactus patch. In the fleet aviation community, which is it safer for an aviator to do: wear glasses that fog up or contacts that could possibly fall out? I would always carry glasses as a backup. As far as desired platform goes, I'd like all of my options to remain open.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Most people who need corrective lenses that I have flown with have worn contacts, but I don't know either way. I am pretty sure they have to have a spare set of glasses with them though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Back when I had to wear glasses, I never had problems w/ them fogging up. I think HH is right about needing a backup pair of glasses when you wear contacts. As of 3 or 4 years ago, you needed a letter from your CO requesting the use of contacts for NVGs (since you can't wear glasses w/ them). Not sure if that's still required, or if contacts have a blanket okay now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ATLien said:
I've got a pilot slot and have a little better than 20/40. I've never worn glasses and didn't want to risk PRK, at least not now.

I understand I'll have to have vision corrected to 20/20 when I fly. I've been experimenting with contacts and poking my own eyeballs is about as fun as running naked backwards through a cactus patch. In the fleet aviation community, which is it safer for an aviator to do: wear glasses that fog up or contacts that could possibly fall out? I would always carry glasses as a backup. As far as desired platform goes, I'd like all of my options to remain open.
Contacts - hands down. Beyond the comfort factor and the fact that glasses can move around or fall off when you're yanking & banking, glasses give you a limited field of view and reduce your peripheral vision. I'm sure it has happened to someone, but I've never had a contact pop out while flying, or anywhere for that matter. I think that was more of an issue with the old school hard lenses. Bottom line - if you have to fly w/ lenses, use contacts.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Let me echo Brett's comments.

I wore glasses in AOCS midway through VT-10 T-2's (yea, I'm getting old) when I switched to contacts. My grades actually went up! No more screwing around with glasses doing BFM, no more fogging up when you opened the canopy etc. Of course I was seriously blind without them. 2400 hours later I can say I never had any issues with contacts in flight.

Had Lasik after I retired (PRK was still rare when I was in) and it was a revelation. Went from 20/400 to 20/15 in less than 24 hours.

Pugs

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dude, go contacts. First, you won't look absolutely stupid with those huge aviators they give you...Second, they are a pain with the helmet on. Finally, like everyone else said, your field of view isn't crippled by the glasses. Just my opinion but when I fly, I throw the contacts in and then keep a pair of glasses in my flight bag just in case. That's the requirement by the way. Hope this helps.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I need corrective lenses, too. Contacts all the way! You need approval from an eye doc to wear them when flying, but that's no big deal...they just need to see that you're corrected to 20/20 with them. And yes, you do have to carry glasses with you. I've flown with glasses exactly one time, and that was just a sim. They hurt my head so bad being crushed in by the helmet that I immediately started wearing contacts.

Once you get out of the VTs you can get on the contact program and the Navy will pay for your contacts, too. Sweet, huh?

If you need any further guidance as to whether you should wear contacts or glasses...how cool can you look in a flight suit wearing glasses? Not very, trust me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And just to reiterate... Everyone that's responded about wearing contacts is a NFO. If you're a SNA or Pilot, there may be a little more paperwork involved before you're legal. Nothing that can't be handled, but just a word of warning. Then again, the rules may have relaxed.

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
Yeah, I did notice most of the responses came from FOs. The word on the street is that contacts are good to go in the front seat now. Any other pilots have anything to add? I'm not hating on NFOs, you guys have been most helpful.