• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bi-Annual LASER Weapon Update!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Electric Lasers Shoot Mortars, Gain Strength

Real-life laser weapons continue to inch closer to reality. Two recent examples: Raytheon says its "prototype solid-state Laser Area Defense System (LADS) successfully detonated 60-millimeter mortars." And Northrop Grumman is opening up a new "directed energy production facility" for building high energy, solid-state lasers.
Yay, expect to see solid state lasers on the F-35 Mako (I know, I don't care) by 2009... At the latest... Depending on the breaks...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yay, expect to see solid state lasers on the F-35 Mako (I know, I don't care) by 2009... At the latest... Depending on the breaks...

Clearly, this is nothing new. We've had this technology in our community for several years.

Brett

Attachments

• DEW.jpg
    DEW.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 120

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many years and millions of dollars? And the thing still hasn't fired its laser yet........:(

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/

yal-1a_airborne-laser_041213-f-0000p-009.jpg

EvilGN

pilot
wow, i wonder if that solar array is notam'd for being a hazard to eye sight...would hate to fly over one of those at the wrong angle

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
How many years and millions of dollars? And the thing still hasn't fired its laser yet........:(

If it allows us to achieve a monopoly on ICBM-delivered nuclear weapons then it will certainly be worth the price of admission.

Lawman

None
If it allows us to achieve a monopoly on ICBM-delivered nuclear weapons then it will certainly be worth the price of admission.

1. Its only gonna be a theatre Ballistic missile defence system

2. We currently arent buying enough of them to put them in the air 24 hours a day let alone maintain overlapping coverage, which if we are talking about stopping nuclear attacks Id say reassurance is a must.

3. Range of the system at its currant estimate would put this fat juicy expensive target extreamly close to potential threats so short of achieving full Air Superiority before the enemy decides to play his ace and launch his nukes its going to be hiding.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
1. Its only gonna be a theatre Ballistic missile defence system

2. We currently arent buying enough of them to put them in the air 24 hours a day let alone maintain overlapping coverage, which if we are talking about stopping nuclear attacks Id say reassurance is a must.

3. Range of the system at its currant estimate would put this fat juicy expensive target extreamly close to potential threats so short of achieving full Air Superiority before the enemy decides to play his ace and launch his nukes its going to be hiding.

At first, sure. But as China continues its ascent and ever more overtly challenges US hegemony, time will have doubtlessly matured this technology as it does all technology, and will allow us to implement a much more capable missile defense system which will have the benefit I mentioned.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
First step - dolphins. Next step - frickin' sharks, man!

Your wish is DARPA's command

DARPA turned to Jelle Atema, a College of Arts and Sciences professor of biology at the Boston University Marine Program, who for many years has been researching how marine animals use their sense of smell. Atema proposed that because sharks are expert at tracking odors over very long distances, the key to steering a shark was to follow its nose. With more than a year of DARPA funding, which ended last year, Atema was able to use electrical stimulation of a shark’s brain, mimicking odor, to guide the shark around a large tank.
Video of teaching a shark to spy...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At first, sure. But as China continues its ascent and ever more overtly challenges US hegemony, time will have doubtlessly matured this technology as it does all technology, and will allow us to implement a much more capable missile defense system which will have the benefit I mentioned.

Please......not with the MDA cheerleading again..........:(

By the way, if we built a missile defense system then what would prevent China from building more ICBM's?........or, horror of horrors, counter-meaures to the missile defense system. Russia already claims to have done so:

"The missile's design is believed to incorporate many features improving its ABM defense penetration ability, and to possess built-in potential for further upgrades in this area.[44]"

[44] Igor Korotchenko, "Yuriy Solomonov: 'Topol-M' Is Able to Penetrate a Potential Anti-Missile Defense of Any State," Nezavisimaya gazeta, 24 February 1999; in "Solomonov on Topol-M Vs US Anti-Missile System," FBIS Document FTS19990308000374. {Entered 1/19/2001 MJ}