• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Government and natural disaster relief (Haiti from Foreign Policy viewpoint)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Blame FEMA and George Bush. They weren't prepared for a natural disaster in another country!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Once again The Great Satan pulls out all the stops to help. Not that it matters, because doing the right thing is all that matters, but I wonder if the rest of the world notices. I'm sure the Haitian people will.

Prayers to the victims and prayers to all in the U.S. Southern Command going in harms way to help.

Clux4

Banned
Once again The Great Satan pulls out all the stops to help. Not that it matters, because doing the right thing is all that matters, but I wonder if the rest of the world notices. I'm sure the Haitian people will.

Prayers to the victims and prayers to all in the U.S. Southern Command going in harms way to help.

That is one of the benefits of big government. We can help ourselves out when we run into those things called natural disasters or even a country with a smaller government. Let us just run through the list while we are at it. American war ships with service members, American hospital ships with doctors and nurses, American aircraft's with loads of supplies paid for by the American government on American aircraft's that will land in Haiti thanks to American heavy equipment clearing the path. No matter the amount of texting that is done to donate funds to the people of Haiti, the heavy lifting still requires boots on the ground. All this comes to the people of Haiti at a price; big government.

I hope the situation there is returned to normalcy and that we do not experience a breakdown of law and order.

exhelodrvr

pilot
That is one of the benefits of big government. We can help ourselves out when we run into those things called natural disasters or even a country with a smaller government. Let us just run through the list while we are at it. American war ships with service members, American hospital ships with doctors and nurses, American aircraft's with loads of supplies paid for by the American government on American aircraft's that will land in Haiti thanks to American heavy equipment clearing the path. No matter the amount of texting that is done to donate funds to the people of Haiti, the heavy lifting still requires boots on the ground. All this comes to the people of Haiti at a price; big government.

I hope the situation there is returned to normalcy and that we do not experience a breakdown of law and order.

It's not a question of the size of the government, it's a question of the amount of corruption in the government.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor

What is the point you're trying to make?? That Our, US Gov't, is the source of the largesse and benevolence towards a 3rd world neighbor?? So the bigger the governmental apparatus, the more benificent it should be?:confused:

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I think you mean "First World Government/Economy" in place of big government. "Big government" has bad connotations in America and even an objective definition doesn't really fit what I think you're searching for. You also lost me with "aircraft's"...twice...in the same sentence.

Clux4

Banned
What is the point you're trying to make?? That Our, US Gov't, is the source of the largesse and benevolence towards a 3rd world neighbor?? So the bigger the governmental apparatus, the more benificent it should be?:confused:
We have the means to project forces rapidly around the globe, thanks to a stable economy and a relatively large government infrastructure.
exhelodrvr said:
Haiti - that is the root cause of their problem, and the root cause of why the infrastructure is in such poor shape, which is why the aid is going to be slow getting to the people who need it.
Yeap. Haiti suffers in part from its own hands. Those folks are getting angry because aid is not coming quicker.
usmarinemike said:
I think you mean "First World Government/Economy" in place of big government. "Big government" has bad connotations in America and even an objective definition doesn't really fit what I think you're searching for. You also lost me with "aircraft's"...twice...in the same sentence.
I meant big government. It is a bad connotation but it does not take away the facts. I went on liberty at 1200 EST, so the drinking commenced shortly afterward. :)

magnetfreezer

I meant big government. It is a bad connotation but it does not take away the facts. I went on liberty at 1200 EST, so the drinking commenced shortly afterward. :)

The following big government agencies help the US project power to conduct expeditionary relief ops:
DOD
Coast Guard
Maybe customs, NOAA and USPHS
probably a few more

The following even bigger government agencies don't:
NEA
EEOC
NPR
Dept of Ed
EPA
TSA
TARP
ATF
National offices of welfare
etc
etc

Maybe if we stopped wasting money on useless stuff, the "big government power projection" would be able to get tankers that aren't 50 years old, more carriers for all those helos, etc.

exhelodrvr

pilot
We have the means to project forces rapidly around the globe, thanks to a stable economy and a relatively large government infrastructure.

1) Haiti's suffering is 99% due to it's own culture (incl government)
2) Out government infrastructure has nothing to do with our ability to project forces around the globe.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
2) Out government infrastructure has nothing to do with our ability to project forces around the globe.

To review the bidding...

99% culture/government
1% 7.0 Ricter scale earthquake.

Got it! Thanks.

Clux4

Banned

1. If by culture you mean corruption and the likes.
2. What makes the US able to project forces around the globe?

phrogpilot73 said:
You don't know what you're talking about. You should have gone supply. They know everything.
Is exhelodrvr looking to make a career change? Common,tell them about supply!