• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big "O" WestPac 1970

navydoc45

Joe Kaposi said: "That is an awesome movie. I have it on DVD."

As the owner of ussoriskany.us, the website that hosts that video, I'm curious how you have a DVD of it. The person that shot the video is a friend of mine who was stationed aboard the Oriskany after I was and has given me permission to host it on my website. I have not made a DVD of it for anyone other than the owner.

Joe Kaposi

Joe Kaposi said: "That is an awesome movie. I have it on DVD."

As the owner of ussoriskany.us, the website that hosts that video, I'm curious how you have a DVD of it. The person that shot the video is a friend of mine who was stationed aboard the Oriskany after I was and has given me permission to host it on my website. I have not made a DVD of it for anyone other than the owner.
I got it directly from Jerry, where else would i get it. You do realise that any bum with with the slightest knowledge of computers can download or grab any video you upload, there'd be plenty of old Big 'O' vets with a copy of what you uploaded, but as i said, Jerry was kind enough to send a DVD copy to me quite a while ago. Now i am presuming you don't have any issues with Jerry actually sharing his own footage with other collectors and fellow carrier vets as i am. Its a great film, some of the best quality 8mm stuff i have in my collection.

navydoc45

Joe, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do know how easy it is for almost anyone to snag a copy of the video unfortunately. I'm glad to read you got yours directly from Jerry and I hope you understand why I asked.
By the way, I hope you liked the sound effects and music I added to the video when I did the edit for Jerry.
Gene
http://www.ussoriskany.us

Joe Kaposi

Joe, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I do know how easy it is for almost anyone to snag a copy of the video unfortunately. I'm glad to read you got yours directly from Jerry and I hope you understand why I asked.
By the way, I hope you liked the sound effects and music I added to the video when I did the edit for Jerry.
Gene
http://www.ussoriskany.us
Sorry to say that i did'nt bother to watch your version of the film, soon as i say the link i knew i had it so did'nt bother. The disk Jerry sent is silent.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The person that shot the video is a friend of mine who was stationed aboard the Oriskany after I was and has given me permission to host it on my website.
As Veterans of the "Big O", I have always wondered how you all felt about her being sent to "sleep with the fishes" in the Gulf of Mexico. As a decorated veteran of 3 wars, it seems she would have been a great candidate for the next 'Carrier Museum' for a major city. I enjoyed seeing that great photo of her on your website, with flight deck loaded with A-4s & F-8s readying to destroy targets & MIGs!

Oriskany served with distinction in WWII, Korea, & Vietnam. Just after the Korean war, she and CAG-19/VF-192 Panthers became Hollywood icons as stars in the Korean war movie "The Bridges At Toko Ri", my all-time favorite flick.

During the Vietnam war, she more than heid her own, launching devastating Alpha strikes, and MIG sweeps with her two catapults vs the 'big' carriers four. Her combat record was impeccable.

When I watched the documentary of the ship's intentional sinking to become a sealife sanctuary, I felt a sinking sensation as well. I remember thinking that we had just done something that the Japanese, North Koreans, and North Vietnamese wished they could have done many years ago. I also wondered how all the Sailors who once called her HOME, felt about her final plunge, and her new mission? Oh well, better than cutting torches and razor blades, I guess (but not near as good as my previous, 2-cruise home... USS Midway)!
CVA-34 Sinking.png
BzB

Last edited: