• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood Pressure question

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
When I went to meps I was put on BP protocol. The first few times they took my BP it was high. 148 / 88. This seemed to be a little wierd to me since I am in excellent shape and I eat right. However, I remember that the same thing happened to me at my doctor's officer when I was tested on my right arm. So on the second and third take of the BP I had the people at MEPS hook up to my left arm. They told me I was out of my mind becuase the right arm is further from the heart etc, but still I insisted. Sure enough when the BP was taken from my left arm I was well in the normal 125 / 72 and 130 / 73. I was almost DQ'd and sent home becuase of my right arm having its own high BP.

Any thoughts or insights as to why my right arm reads a high BP? There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it. No loss of strength, no tingling, no numbness.

VR,

TK

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It may be stress. I'm not a doc, but I had to go to medical right after my NAV test back in API (hardest one) to get a prescription refilled. They did the standard vital screening. My blood pressure was so high, it set off alarms. The Corpsman had me sit and breathe deeply for 5-10 minutes. The next time he read it, it was perfectly fine.

I'm also a walking talking stress grenade so that probably didn't help.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
TK.....first off....pressure buddy...pressure....

You could also have a signifigant rise in diastolic when they put the band around your arm....They call it white coat syndrome, (fear of docs I guess...the natural enemy of the aviator). Step up your cardio regimen this week and see if that helps. Also.... if you have big arms, the digital bp machine can give you an inordinately high reading. Request to have it taken manually.

asise

It really tied the room together.
White coat hypertension is when you BP goes up because you're in the doctor's office. Pretty common occurrence in outpatient clinics ... but since the military likes cut-offs it works against you. The doc who had nittany03 take a few deep breathes was on the ball. Really does help if you're borderline. Also note that having your BP checked on the same arm a few times in a row ... well that's not good either. If you get it checked more than once it should be in both arms so that one arm doesn't suffer all the punishment (that will give a false BP reading).
Don't be concerned about the pressure in your left arm being a tad lower. If you have cold feet and poor pulses in your legs or L arm, then worry ...
Otherwise I hear high BP is good for taking lots of G's and not blacking out!

asise

Simultaneous posting ... Mumbles beat me to it!
I agree with that machine error, and asking for a manual re-check too.
By the way, that was smart asking them to do the whole left arm thing ... heck you could've had them do the BP in your legs if you want it far from your heart. Just don't stand if they do that one.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
TK.....first off....pressure buddy...pressure....

You could also have a signifigant rise in diastolic when they put the band around your arm....They call it white coat syndrome, (fear of docs I guess...the natural enemy of the aviator). Step up your cardio regimen this week and see if that helps. Also.... if you have big arms, the digital bp machine can give you an inordinately high reading. Request to have it taken manually.

Mumbles is probably right wrt white coat. Find yourself a nurse, or maybe one of those sit down machines at wal-mart and compare readings.

"the natural enemy of the aviator" ..... I have a long memory :icon_smil

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I've been dangerously close to the upper end on systolic lately (130's), and I'm looking for every possible method to help bring it down. So far I've:

- Cut Sodium to less than 1000mg / day (which sucks)
- Increased Potassium (2 or 3 apples or a banana per day)
- Run 3-5 miles / day
- Sleep at least 8 hours per night

I'm not over weight @ 5'8" 148 lbs. I haven't exactly had great improvements over the past 2 months (other than losing 12 pounds), and I'm starting to think my BP symptoms are more stress related than anything else.

Can any of you recommend some relaxation exercises that would actually help with this, or that a myth?

asise

You can also make sure you're not volume overloaded on the day of your appt. No need to dehydrate yourself, but just drink to keep thirst at bay. Don't be one of those water freaks who carries around a water bottle and drinks when they're not thirsty just because they think it's healthy. Not only can that land you in the hospital, but it will certainly raise your BP. Treatment of choice for people who faint easily ... not for aviators trying to pass a physical.