• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOLC...did anyone learn ANYTHING....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac brought up BOLC, and I was wondering if it did anyone any good.

I liked having the afternoons off. That's the only positive thing I can think of.

We also had a khaki inspection on day one. GAY.

I thought it was a waste of time. I did manage to wean myself off of coffee right before SERE, which was nice.

Any thoughts?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
I learned that if I didn't hurry up and buy some brown shoes people would make fun of me.

Oh, I also watched a film about the first woman Tomcat pilot ... that was useful.

;)

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
lots of sea stories. i thought they were interesting i guess. oh yeah.. had a "counseling" skit with a real life petty officer... funny thing is the petty officer turned the table around on the ensign "counseling" him and made him look like an idiot.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
BOLC, no inspections in it for me. was hung over 95% of the time, and I don't remember the other 5%

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, is this in the private P3 forum, only P3 bubbas attended BOLC apparently!

Didn't get much out of it, the mustangs in the crowd filled in on a lot of the experiences the instructors lacked.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, I thought it was BOLTC. Basic officer leadership training coursre. My views are it should be taken after winging right before a new O hits the fleet. Most new O's brain dump any relevant info after a coupe years of flight school. For the prior E's, it was a little boring. For young guys right off the street, it wasnt to bad. If they had a good instructor and paid attention, then they might learn a couple of things.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
For those of us that were ROTC/Academy/prior, BOLTC seemed like a refresher of stuff we already knew about pipelines, duty stations, benefits, promotion, etc. The OCS guys that weren't priors seemed to gain the most from the classes, they had the most questions.

The Chiefs' briefing was interesting. We had three Chiefs (two Master, one Senior) with aviation backgrounds giving us the do's and don'ts of being a divo from a Chief's prospective.

I agree with EODDave that it should be taught after winging, since I can easily see myself forgetting alot of things between now and then.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had it after winging and still forgopt everything with stash time, SERE, and the FRS. After the rag would make the most sense.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I missed BOLTC by one winging class, 3 weeks. I took AJOLT though, the rough equivilant. Bonus points to whoever knows what AJOLT means :icon_smil !

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the good thing about BOLTC is that us new ensigns got to go through it with new wingers. Thats where all the good info on flight school came from and i got a new coffee cup.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EODDave said:
aviation junior officer leadership training

Wow, I am impressed (do they still have it?). I wasted 1 week of my life learning green light, yellow light and red light. The best part was the instructor was a former S-2 AW with some cool sea stories.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No sense sending aviators to BOLC or BOLTC or whatever you want to call it. Waste of money and time. Most aviatiors can't (or shouldn't even try for that matter) lead their way out of wet paper bag.

Standing by for all incoming missiles.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have not seen AJOLT classes anywhere. I just took a stab at the letters.

Oh and to help out Steve above.... Chaff flare chaff flare...

And since he said most, not all, that leaves some wiggle room for some of us "Lead from the front" type SNA's.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
No sense sending aviators to BOLC or BOLTC or whatever you want to call it. Waste of money and time. Most aviatiors can't (or shouldn't even try for that matter) lead their way out of wet paper bag.

Standing by for all incoming missiles.

Come on dude, we need some kind of training other than "call your Chief/LPO" when you get your first DUI or spouse abuse phone call. At least to know where to find the JAG and legal officer's phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.