• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Book and Documentary on WWI Ace Frank Luke

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For all you history nerds, like myself, this looks interesting. Book and documentary on what happened on Frank Luke's last flight. For those who don't know, he was a yound WWI American Ace who scored 18 victories in about two weeks of combat. Went out one day and never came back, thus the story.

http://www.indysquadron.com/thestandfrankluke/id14.html

Huggy Bear

pilot
I've always used Frank Luke as my yardstick of manliness to the point of stupidity. He pulled out his pistol and started firing while surrounded by a squad equipped with rifles. It didn't go well for him.

Should be an interesting read.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always used Frank Luke as my yardstick of manliness to the point of stupidity. He pulled out his pistol and started firing while surrounded by a squad equipped with rifles. It didn't go well for him.

Should be an interesting read.
And a guy whose hobby was to go max blast on a motorcycle, whilst shooting at trees on the side of the road with an M1911 in each hand. Look up NAFOD in the dictionary and you'll find the guy's picture.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good stuff; interesting read. Some more stuff on Frank Luke from the AcePilots website, including his combat action reports:

FRANK LUKE: The Arizona Balloon Buster

His parents emigrated from Germany to the U.S. and he died fighting Germans near the French/German border. Ironic ...

brownshoe

Contributor
I’m outta stuff to read right now. I’m waiting on two Heyjoe books to come in, and another by Rear Adm. Gillcrist. Sooo, I’ll be heading to Barnes and Noble tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

sopwith21

Pardon the intrusion, but I wrote THE STAND: The Final Flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. and the book was released on Thursday. So I'm excited and life is pretty busy around my house right now.

I've studied WWI aviation my entire life and never found a story quite so mesmerizing as this. It took 17 years of research and 7 trips to France to completely solve the mystery of exactly what took place when Frank Luke - America's leading ace at the time - went down behind enemy lines on September 29, 1918.

So suspend everything you ever thought you knew about Luke and read THE STAND with a fresh perspective... and prepare to be surprised. You won't be disappointed. My gratitude to the kind person who mentioned my book on this forum.

Best,
Stephen Skinner
Author, THE STAND: The Final Flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr.

PS - the web site posted above (www.THESTANDfrankluke.com) has several new videos on it now pertaining to the book. Several of them shot on site in France. Enjoy.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Pardon the intrusion, but I wrote THE STAND: The Final Flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. and the book was released on Thursday. So I'm excited and life is pretty busy around my house right now.

I've studied WWI aviation my entire life and never found a story quite so mesmerizing as this. It took 17 years of research and 7 trips to France to completely solve the mystery of exactly what took place when Frank Luke - America's leading ace at the time - went down behind enemy lines on September 29, 1918.

So suspend everything you ever thought you knew about Luke and read THE STAND with a fresh perspective... and prepare to be surprised. You won't be disappointed. My gratitude to the kind person who mentioned my book on this forum.

Best,
Stephen Skinner
Author, THE STAND: The Final Flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr.

PS - the web site posted above (www.THESTANDfrankluke.com) has several new videos on it now pertaining to the book. Several of them shot on site in France. Enjoy.

Welcome and I look forward to reading the book.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Refreshing to see an author not falling into comfort box of using the web for research and never getting out of the house. +1

Minor threadjack, but speaking of getting out of the house - great work done trying to reconstruct Sgt Alvin York's stunning achievements during the Meuse Argonne offensive by getting down in the dirt where the incidents in question happened. Check it out - fascinating reading!

http://www.sgtyorkdiscovery.com/

sopwith21

Refreshing to see an author not falling into comfort box of using the web for research and never getting out of the house. +1
I had no choice... the answers weren't on this continent. Every author in history had pretty much done the same thing - they had gotten all the official military files, interviewed people here about Luke, and dug up all the letters they could find. Then they all wrote basically the same book using the same data with a different cover. That's not to denigrate any other author - I'm just saying that in order to achieve a different result, I had to use different methods, or my book would have simply been another derivative work.

But I wanted something original that would truly confirm (or alter) history as we know it. The only way to find the truth was to get up and go to France. Only one other Luke researcher in history had done that, and that was back in 1962 and only for four days.

So I figured it had to be done. And what we found there was beyond anything I could have imagined. The final flight of Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. is now solved, the truth is known, and you should buckle up for a wild ride.

Thank you again to the kind person who mentioned my book here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thank you again to the kind person who mentioned my book here.

Bunk, kind? LMAO, he is ruthless, relentless and cunning, but has a sense and devotion to the history of aerial combat (and Corvettes).

PS - You can always give him positive rep.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk, kind? LMAO, he is ruthless, relentless and cunning, but has a sense and devotion to the history of aerial combat (and Corvettes).

PS - You can always give him positive rep.

I'm kind.........of an ass :D I just happen to have hobbies that really fall on the geek side.