• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boot Camp if you screw up?

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I have searched the forum and I can't see a topic about it so here it is. I was told that if you fail so many classes or you mess up doing something really bad and you get kicked out and you have to pay all the money they shelled out for you if your on a scholarship. I was told by a friend that if you can't pay the money back that they will put you in boot camp to fufill your contract. I am just wondering if this is true and what exactly does happen if you fail a class or two? Thanks in advanced.

jet_ifr

It's called "call to active duty."

If your commander determines that you have the propensity to serve, and you will benefit your parent service, you'll be called to active duty.

Alternatively if you're an idiot, and you have neither of the above criteria usually your parent service will allow you an extended period of time to repay your tuition/fees you exhausted during school.

I'm on the Army ROTC side of the house, but the regs are pretty much the same.

Take usnphoenix's advice and don't fail out.

RiceOwl06

Like stated before, don't fail out. It will be at NETC/your CO's discretion as to your fate of Active Duty or repayment. However, for those that do drop/get kicked out, and are allowed to pay back their schooling, the government gives them what is basically a 10 year no-interest loan. A few slackers at my unit who got kicked out were bragging about how awesome a deal they got. Personally, I think they are the ones loosing out of an awesome opportunity, but fortunately for the Navy they are not officers.

Hursel110

None
I figure I'll throw this story out here:

We received a new undesignated Seaman onboard my destroyer about two weeks before leaving on a med cruise (this is in OCT 2001 btw). His story was that he was an Academy mid who was caught cheating on a test. As punishment, he was forced to 1)miss a year of school and 2) spend that time serving as an undesignated deck Seaman onboard a Spruance Class Destroyer on deployment.

Needless to say, my BS flag was flying high when he told me his sob story. The joke was on me (and everyone else who didn't belive him) when his orders back to the Academy showed up about a month after we got back into Norfolk.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

We received a new undesignated Seaman onboard my destroyer about two weeks before leaving on a med cruise (this is in OCT 2001 btw). His story was that he was an Academy mid who was caught cheating on a test. As punishment, he was forced to 1)miss a year of school and 2) spend that time serving as an undesignated deck Seaman onboard a Spruance Class Destroyer on deployment.

Needless to say, my BS flag was flying high when he told me his sob story. The joke was on me (and everyone else who didn't belive him) when his orders back to the Academy showed up about a month after we got back into Norfolk.

You know, I know a few people who had to do that. Everyone thought it was funny that for failing to be a good naval officer, you were sent to the fleet (where you would end up anyway- albeit in a different capacity).

h2o polo

If you are talking about failing Naval Science classes......I don't think that is even possible. Really, I've never heard of someone failing those. If you mean a regular college course there are two options. You can try and retake it during the school year if you have time which the Navy will still pay for, or you can take it again during the summer but that is usually at your own expense. Regardless if you fail any class your ROTC advisor will probably be watching you pretty closely.

As for quitting after you sign your contract or doing something stupid and getting kicked out, that is another story. Either of those cases go to the discretion of the CO. From what I have seen at my unit, usually if you quit you are given the option. If you get in trouble, you can expect to do some time on the enlisted side unless the CO is feeling generous that day.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

wow....thats probably the best form of punishment that I have heard of to date. They must have seen a lot of potential in this mid however, to go to those lengths to teach him a lesson

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
A kid from my school on a 4 year ride was a math major and didn't make the grades. They made him enlist. When I was a sophmore there was another guy who had to enlist during senior year, so yes it happens.