• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bootcamp-- to College?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Hey guys my brother is going to boot camp on January 8 of next month. He graduated high school and was a pretty descent athlete. For the last couple months he has been on this thing about after he gets out boot camp he wants to go to college to play sports instead of going to A-School? (He's in that enlistment nuclear program). I told him that he should go to A-school and complete it because of (what I've heard) it counts towards college credit in some schools, but I don't know at what point you are allowed to start going to college on your way to becoming an officer, can you do it right out of bootcamp (It seems like they would want you serving a little longer than 8 weeks)? Thanks for your help, I would really like to tell my brother the correct information about what can really happen.
Kycntryboy

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
I think your brother is confused. When he finishes boot camp, he's going nowhere but the thriving metropolis of Goose Creek, South Carolina, and the glamour and excitement that is the nuke pipeline.

His A school won't count for college credit (at least I don't think so), but Power School will (provided he goes through the process of applying to a college and getting the classes transferred over.)

Recruiters like to hype the STA-21 program to wanna be nukes, since traditionally, your chances of getting accepted while in the nuke pipeline are better than elsewhere in the fleet. But, he has to apply for that just like anyone else. My hubby graduated from boot camp in Jan of 2002, and there were a few people who he knew who applied to the STA program in A school (and were accepted).

If he's not referring to the STA program, and he's just thinking that he's going to start going to college in addition to the pipeline- that's not allowed (as if he'd actually have the time to do both, lol).

Edited to add: If you couldn't guess from my screen name- my hubby is an enlisted nuke, applied to STA-21 while in the pipeline and was recently selected.

H

Honour_Class

I know a guy who: finished bootcamp/A school/Nuclear Power School/Prototype then got picked up for NECP (it took that long for them to process applications). He went to Arizona State attached to ROTC with no actual ROTC responsibilities and is now an officer on a submarine.

From what I gather, it takes a while for them to get their packages together and then for the program directors to decide who pick up. So I would think going to college right after bootcamp is unviable unless your brother sent in his officer package like 4 months ago and is fairly certain they are picking him up.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Well, I know that (10 years ago) the Officer programs guy came to my A School and gave a talk about switching over. I know that three guys from my class did make the switch after A school but before C school (follow on training). That means that they did about a year active including boot camp before transferring out to NROTC. I ran into two of them when I was at BOOST and the were going through SWOS.

Also, my college didn't take any of my Navy credits at all, although if your goal is to get those credits counted you can pick a school that will.

These days they don't do the straight-up NROTC scholarships like I got, it is all STA-21, so the guys coming through that program might be able to give you some more current gouge.

Country Boy

Proud Father
Nukewife's post is pretty much about as accurate and current information as you're going to get. I am a staff pick-up at prototype who was just selected for STA-21. Your brother is definitely not going to be going to college straight out of boot camp, especially not as a nuke. If he is single, with no children, he has a couple of options. First, he can apply as soon as he can (depending on what time of year it is) to go to the Naval Academy (the board only convenes once a year. . .I think). Second, he could apply for STA-21 (again depending on what time of year it is as far as when the application deadlines are), which you probably already know allows for spouses and children while the USNA does not. Like Nukewife said, if he thinks he is going to college right after boot camp, he is definitely not. To get picked up in A school or Power school even as a student is more than fairly difficult unless you have amazing credentials for your package. The nuke pipeline will definitely take almost all of your time and the instructors are more than happy to readjust any priorities that you may have to be in line with the nuke pipeline's. And as far as nuke school credits transfering, most good state universities will NOT accept them, only a couple will accept the majority of the credits and those universities' degrees (from what I have been told) are not worth anything unless you want to continue working in nuclear power plants in the civilian world. Although any degree is better than no degree. I'm sure I just rambled on aimlessly, but I can answer any specific questions you may have. I would like to help you clear up your brother's questions and ideas because if he is mistaken, then he will not have a fun time at all as a nuke and will probably end up bitter, which is a horrible waste and worth the effort to prevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.