• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breaking the Sound Barrier w/o an Airplane!

yak52driver

Contributor
This is amazingly cool stuff. Not taking anything away from test pilots today, but back in the day the stuff they did was such a step into the unknown. The guys that rode rocket sleds to see how g forces (especially eyeballs out) affected the body, or the first ones to test ejections seats, they all clanked when thet walked in my book. Thanks for the vid!

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
Thats nuts. Wonder if he could feel any of the decrease of speed to to pressure increase. Had to have been one wild ride.

Bevo16

pilot
brass_balls.jpg

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Once again, I get the distinct feeling I was born about 50 years too late. . .:(

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
What a pioneer.... Major props.

I was addicted to skydiving during my college days.. It's an incredible rush and was definitely a life changing experience... But what this man did takes that to a whole new level. I couldn't imagine how neat it would be to be that high in a balloon. Absolutely incredible....

I am however a little shocked that the 'record' hasn't been broken. Parachuting technology has progressed since the sixties just as much (if not more in my humble opinion) than airplanes have. And this seems like a world record that would be somewhat 'cheap,' (in comparison to a lot of world record attempts), to conquer. There are a lot of rich, motivated skydivers out there, and they ALWAYS want to go higher... Just a little surprised that 50 years has gone by with no more attempts

My personal best is a measley 25k feet.