• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brit's new carrier?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's to allow cyclic operations, i.e. launching and trapping simultaneously. You can launch off cats 1 and 2 (bow cats) while trapping aircraft. Nice setup.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I thought it had to do something with that but wasn't quite sure. How different is it landing diagonaly to the direction of which the carrier is moving as too straight on?

Well, I've never landed on a straight-deck...

But I got the opportunity to see the difference between high natural wind and the ship making its own wind. I'm no expert mind you, I only have 10 traps and 2 days under my belt. The high wind day, the ship was barely making steerageway, so controlling lineup really wasn't that hard. When the ship had to make its own wind, lineup was more of a problem, but with a good scan, you don't really notice it. It's definitely a different picture than say, the field, which doesn't move at all.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I believe another reason for the angled decks is safety. That way if the plane bolters, its going off into space and not other aircraft. I say this because everytime they show that damn slide in safety standdowns one of the notations is when angled decks were introduced, and how it improved safety.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
mules83 said:
At least this one isnt made out of ice.......

Pikecrete(sp?) was an awesome idea! But yeah, I've been wondering if Britain was ever going to get back into the full-sized carrier business. Seems I now have my answer.