• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brunswick Maine/VP-10

lazarus05

Just got VP-10 up in Brunswick. Any advice on the squadron and advice on places to live from people who have been stationed there recently? Thanx ... LaZiO

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hmph, 10 just rolled back from deployment- word on the street was they wouldn't be sending any cones from 30 for the last 2 months of deployment and the first 4 of a squadrons homecycle... I wonder if they have changed their stance on that (or they could have ment only pilots).

Kelli

We lived in base housing for about six months, then bought a place in Portland. Are you married? Kids? It makes a big difference in where people end up living. In my husband's squadron, almost all of the JO's with kids live in base housing. There are a handful of married couples who live in Bath, near Brunswick, there are two families in Grey, and we're one of two couples in Portland (along with pretty much all of the single guys).

I've got a bunch of information on base housing - let me know if you need it. For rentals around the Brunswick area, check out www.rentex.net, and for rentals in the Portland area, www.drinanproperties.com or craigslist. I also have a great realtor, though that's probably a pretty shaky option for you given the amount of time you'll be here and the current housing market.

Let me know if you have questions...

Nose

pilot
Hmph, 10 just rolled back from deployment- word on the street was they wouldn't be sending any cones from 30 for the last 2 months of deployment and the first 4 of a squadrons homecycle... I wonder if they have changed their stance on that (or they could have ment only pilots).

P-3's? Deployment? Man stuff has changed since I was in...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Nose, unless you were in sometime prior to the Cuban Missile Crisis, the P-3 is just about the only plane that hasn't changed since then.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
If you're single live in Portland. It's a half hour drive to work but its worth it.

Apartment hunting there is a pain in the ass. There are only a few buildings/complexes, most places are single houses split into apartments. Craigslist is good but you have to see places in person because many are old and crappy to put it nicely.

Albrizzle

BAMF
pilot
Hey, I'm going to -10 with Laz, and I've heard the same thing that Zippy said about sending new guys right after squadrons got back and that Kelli said about single guys living in Portland. Zippy, looks like we heard wrong. Kelli, what I haven't been able to find out, since I haven't found anybody who actually was single and came from -10/Maine (something about an accident with beef jerky and a Yeti or something), is how bad that commute gets with snow in the winter? Anybody have any info? Thanks!

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
A normal drive takes about 30 minutes like was said previously. If it's snowing hard enough to be sticking to the roads they drop the speed limit to 45. You may be lucky to go that fast. I drove to Portland last night in the snow and it took more than an hour. That said, they're great about getting the plows out and the roads cleared pretty quickly.

P3 F0

None
I didn't think it was bad, even in the winter. There was another thread about Brunswick a while back with more info. The only real problem I had was when it got well below zero, my Jeep wouldn't move into 4th gear for some reason.

I also highly recommend Portland over Brunswick.

Kelli

I have about a half hour commute on a normal day too (up the turnpike to Lewiston), and the longest it's ever taken me to get to work is 45 minutes. Driving can be rough when the snow/sleet's still coming down, but like NavAir said, they're great about getting roads cleared quickly.

Almost all of the single guys in 26 live in the Old Port (home to Portland's bars/non-chain restaurants, exactly the opposite of the NAS Jax area). One thing to consider - a lot of the apartments downtown don't have designated parking spots, and during snow storms there are parking bans on the streets. If you're looking for a more traditional apartment building, you might want to look up Back Bay Tower. It has underground parking, and it's in a decent location.

For what it's worth, I don't know anyone who has started their tour in Portland and moved closer to base. Brunswick is quaint and New England-y, but for us it got very small very quickly.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Any idea when the last Maine VP squadron is moving to Jax? I am about a year out and would love to go up there but figured I didn't have a chance.

lazarus05

Thanx for the advice everybody. What up Matt. I haven't been on here in a while. Word is '09 , 10 is heading back down here. I'm single as a dollar bill so I don't see myself living on base . Sounds like Portland is the spot.