• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bush - Worse President since Truman...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(referring to Truman): He doesn't get on with his own party's presidential candidate, who is clearly distancing himself, and had lost many of his closest friends and staff to scandals and forced resignations...

Interesting. Not the first time I've seen it pointed out that many popular-in-hindsight Presidents were extremely unpopular while in office, not least Lincoln. Truman might actually be a good analogue.

Truman was also known for having a disastrous SecDef - Louis Johnson - who was not liked at all by the Pentagon.

The nominee who is distancing himself in this case was Adlai Stevenson, who was immensely experienced and one of the old warhorses of the Dem party. Probably would have won the election if he'd run against Bob Taft, who was the GOP favorite until Ike was persuaded to run.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All this talk of Bush's place in history bores me to tears for just the reasons pointed out above. The history of Iraq and Afghanistan (principle reasons for the failure of his admin)is yet to be written. Everything depends on what those places, and the US, look like many, many years from now, and we have no way of knowing that with any certainty. I think it is interesting that there are so many people howling about how Bush is the worse president ever, even articles by so called academics and presidential historians (before it is history). I don't see pro Bush people presuming to place him on a list of presidential success stories even though there are people out there that clearly disagree with his placement in the bottom of the list.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think Wink is dead on, way too early to be writing a history of the current administration when it is not even out of office yet.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I think Wink is dead on, way too early to be writing a history of the current administration when it is not even out of office yet.
Did a safe fall on your head today, Mrs. Turner?

:D:D:D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Second that....besides, Clinton had the oppurtunity to nail Bin Laden and didn't exactly do a great job with Hussein either.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Second that....besides, Clinton had the oppurtunity to nail Bin Laden and didn't exactly do a great job with Hussein either.
JTF HOA might've been headed off a little while ago as well...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did a safe fall on your head today, Mrs. Turner?

:D:D:D

It would very presumptuous of any real historian to believe that they can truly judge something in the present day in its full context, when we don't even know what comes after.....which is arguably the most important piece of the puzzle.

Wait a generation, then we might have some real good idea of where the current administration stands historically. Much like some of the revised assessments of the Eisenhower that came out in the 80's and 90's.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It would very presumptuous of any real historian to believe that they can truly judge something in the present day in its full context, when we don't even know what comes after.....which is arguably the most important piece of the puzzle.

Wait a generation, then we might have some real good idea of where the current administration stands historically. Much like some of the revised assessments of the Eisenhower that came out in the 80's and 90's.

Might even be able to it is hard for a historian can write accurately of any history (certainly any controversial history) that they lived through since anyone interested enough to write about it likely has a predisposed opinion.

Agree it'll be a generation before this period is put in perspective properly.