• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cadence help

beuxbunk

I was told that knowing a cadence or two is a good idea... problem is I dont know the rythum or the pace. Does anyone know a site where there are recordings... is that a dumb question?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In what capacity are you using the cadence? If it's running, one of the saltier dudes will call the cadence and you just repeat it back. It does help w/ running. If it's for drill, you'll see it over time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
you will learn cadences by running w/ them....the only guys I knew who actually studied and knew cadences were a little :party_125

beuxbunk

I was told by upperclass MIDN that I would get "noticed" in a good way if I knew some. I guess they want us to bring it to the table ourselves

beuxbunk

In what capacity are you using the cadence? If it's running, one of the saltier dudes will call the cadence and you just repeat it back. It does help w/ running. If it's for drill, you'll see it over time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Yeah for morning run

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I think what he is talking about is that during a run or when being marched he might get called out to lead and he should have a few cadences on hand for that situation.

When running as a platoon at double time march the cadence is 180 beats per minute, as that is how fast a pace you should be maintaining.

Do you know that commercial where the group of people drinking that starbucks coffee thingamajigger are all yelling in the street, that is about the pace of a running cadence.

When marching as a platoon the cadence is 120 bpm, noticably slower, which is why you never mix a running cadence with a marching cadence without altering it a lot.

The best way to match a cadence with your platoon is to remember that beats correspond to your steps.

So when I say your left, you say your right...

There was a great site that explained all of this, but alas it has been killed be the ravages of time...

pdx

HSM Pilot
I don't know if you guys ever watch "Mail Call" on the History channel, but Gunny Ermey has a web site with a cadence recording called "Run with Lee." It is set to background music (super gay), but it will give you a good idea what cadence sound like. As mentioned before, these are running cadence, not marching cadence.

http://www.rleeermey.com/soundclips.php

There are only a few cadence beats that I have ever heard, but there are tons of different cadences with millions of verses. At Navy OCS, we mostly sang Marine Corps cadences, but there are plenty of Navy songs out there as well.

My advice, learn one or two easy ones. That way, the first time you get picked to lead you can step up and do so. By the time it matters, you will have learned a few more. When all else fails, just sing a left right ditty. The whole point is just to keep everybody in step.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about cadences, you'll learn em' and pick em' up. Don't be nervous. Where you doing NROTC?

riley

If you're really motivated, check out Amazon or Buy.com for these motivating CD's:

"March to Cadence with the U.S. Marines"

"Run to Cadence with the U.S. Marines Vol.1"

I'd definitely recommend Vol. 1 of the run cadences over Volume 2. The sophomore album was just a regurgitation of their first album - same sound, just different words.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Good luck at ERAU. Have fun; if I can have fun as a plebe here at boat school, I'm sure you can have it at plane school.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was told that knowing a cadence or two is a good idea... problem is I dont know the rythum or the pace. Does anyone know a site where there are recordings... is that a dumb question?
Since you are interested ... Google "Jody calls" ... you'll probably come up with quite a number of references and lyrics ...

Nice to know the "history" behind them, too ... although since the Vietnam time frame ... I'm afraid some of the more colorful "Jodies" :eek: we used to chant have BECOME pre-PC "history" .... :)

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Embry Riddle

That sounds like something they would say here at Riddle. Have you check on Blackboard? They should have a cadence tab on there under Navy ROTC. Let me see if I can find it for you.

-HD

edit: this rep this is pissing me off.

edit 2: beux, go onto the Navy Blackboard site, click on "Forms" and then click on "Cadences". If you're worried about not knowing them, pick a couple, listen until you can remember and then just get out there and try it. You only really need to know like one cadence, then you can call another MIDN out. Good luck.