• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calc and Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuggerat

Hey guys, im a college sophomore and im applying for an SNA slot probably gonna send out my application this summer. In the mean time, should i be taking physics or anything like that? Are there certain classes i hafta have under my belt in order to qualified for the program? ...thanx

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
There isn't anything you need in particular. One of our pilots was a wildlife biology major in college. However, you can't go wrong taking calc and calc based phyics, even if your major doesn't require it. You probably need to take gen ed math and science, so why not challenge yourself? Having these courses under your belt can open doors.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I would say do it, if you are going to make good grades in it, if your not I wouldn't recommend it. What is your major.

Kycntryboy

pilot
zuggerat said:
Are there certain classes i hafta have under my belt in order to qualified for the program? ...thanx

The only requirement for any bdcp program that I am aware of is nuke, where you have to have 10 hrs of physics, when you apply, for pilot you don't have to.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Taking Calc and Calc based Physics can only help you (this of course is assuming you study and do well in them). Taking these courses may or may not Open doors later down the road for you. However, not taking them will quite possibly Close them. I'm speaking from experience here.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You would do well to take these classes if you can make the grades. As a Finance major, I will graduate without much calculus and without physics at all. I'm pretty sure that means I can't go to test pilot school or NASA, but not everyone wants to do that anyway. Just something to think about.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Let's put it this way: Don't be so concerned over your GPA that you take something lame like college algebra instead of calculus. Sure, an A in college algebra will help your GPA more than a B in Calc would, but people aren't stupid. They actually LOOK at your transcripts.

zuggerat

Im a World Politics (PLSC) major, and im taking calc to satisfy my math gen ed. Its giving me trouble but im getting thro it, it's very frustrating though. This could make or break my year. I cant afford to get a C and have it drag down my gpa for this semester, it's very stressful. I keep thinkin' about 5 years from now when im manning a desk at some crappy firm, "if i didnt get that C in calc to drag down my gpa, i could've been doing cuban 8's at 500 knots". To make matters worse my recruiter isn't answering my emails... if you haven't noticed i'm very worked up about all this crap.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey zuggerat - one C in one class shouldn't make too big of a difference. I think they will see that you took a hard class and give you some credit for it... who knows how it all works anyway.

jung

I have a BA in math but my major didn't require any physics so I didn't take any. Since I found out about Nuke, I've been thinking about taking physics classes at a college or buying some books and studying them. Do I HAVE TO have a year of calculus-based physics on my transcripts in order to be considered for Nuke? Does anyone know?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Jung,

I think one year of physics is required for nuke. Seeing how you majored in math, taking Physics: Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism shouldn't be to tough. The only part that would suck is the time it takes. Since you're a teacher, why not knock one out over the summer? Those are usually only 6 or 8 week sessions anyway.

NookyBooky04

Beach Bum Extraordinaire
Steve Wilkins said:
Taking these courses may or may not Open doors later down the road for you. However, not taking them will quite possibly Close them. I'm speaking from experience here.

What kind of doors are we talking about here? Doesn't Test Pilot School and NASA require Engineering or Physics degrees? I know it couldn't hurt, but I'm just wondering why just 10 units of physics would make much of a difference.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do need a hard science/math degree to get into TPS. Last guy we sent from my squadron had a Masters in EE. Guy was a genius, like scary smart.

On the other hand you have guys like me, Liberal Arts major with algebra and chemistry from college. The most complicated math I have to do is calculating cabin pressure setting for my NATOPs test.

Status
Not open for further replies.