• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireval

I read somewhere that when applying for a 2 or 3 year NROTC scholarship, you are strongly recomended to have a calc course already behind you. Is this true? I took a semester of college physics in high school but that probably wont cut it. I am thinking about going supply or NFO route if that matters. Thanks

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
As usual, the best thing you could do is call the unit you want to join. The recruting officer there can probably point you in the right direction.

agentamulek

check out the nrotc site https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/ and see what info you can find there. im pretty sure i recall my recruiter saying it was the same as bdcp for two and three year nrotc scholarships. meaning you need one year of calc and one of calc based physics to be eligible, but im not sure on that. the officer recruiters in your area will know, and the good thing is, since officers programs are more sought after and have smaller volume, most of the time all of the officer programs recruiting depts will be in the same place. This way you can head down there and get info on everything at once. if you have more than 30 units you will have to go the 3 or 2 year scholarship route, otherwise youre still eligible for the regular 4 year. hope this helps..if you have trouble finding info about the recruiting dept in your area let me know and i will find the link for that as well, cant remember off the top of my head...
-sean

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
fireval said:
I read somewhere that when applying for a 2 or 3 year NROTC scholarship, you are strongly recomended to have a calc course already behind you. Is this true? I took a semester of college physics in high school but that probably wont cut it. I am thinking about going supply or NFO route if that matters. Thanks

I've heard several times in the last 3 years that if you're already in the unit, its good to have calc out of the way when applying to go from college program to scholarship. They like to see that when making selections.

I would reccomend that you call the unit you're interested in or email their freshman advisor to get some more information on exactly how the process works. Even though they've redone some of the Navy's NROTC website in the last few years, its still missing a lot of stuff.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fireval,
The Navy requires that you have 6 credits of Calculus and 6 credits of Calc-based Physics before you graduate. Specifically, you need the Calc completed prior to the end of you r Sophomore year and Physics completed prior to the end of your Junior year. When you are applying for a 3 (or 2) year scholarship, the Navy will see (via transcripts) how much progress you have made toward the required classes. Again, check with the NROTC you plan on attending to see what classes you might need or if you meet the requirements. Good luck!
ea6bflyr

fireval

Thanks a lot for the responses, I checked the requirments of my major and I am going to have to take 6 credits of calc anyway in order to graduate...I just need to work some physics in there somewhere

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
fireval said:
Thanks a lot for the responses, I checked the requirments of my major and I am going to have to take 6 credits of calc anyway in order to graduate...I just need to work some physics in there somewhere

Man I feel sorry for you, that surely can't be much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.