• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Camelbaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys-
Has anyone used a Camelbak yet underneath or attached to a survival vest? Sure sure we're all aware that there's a 5 lb "extra" limit, but on a hot day in the desert I'm going to want a tad more water on me in the aircraft. Anyway, my question really is if anyone knows if it's possible and/or in use. I know you can buy them through gsa but I'm more interested in the practicality and the fit.
For discussion, I have the new web-mesh vest but not the low-profile LPU. I'm looking at the Thermobak 3L (or 2L) or perhaps the Hotshot 2L. Let the ideas commeth forth...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's cool that they can do that (integrate it into the vest), but its kind of a pain to pull it out and clean it, which in the heat of the desert/Gulf you have to do A LOT (unless you enjoy the taste of iodine). I kept mine separate, but had the PRs "de-FOD" it (MUCH bigger issue on a flight deck I'm sure). Some of the models will squirt you if you apply pressure to them (i.e. lean back in your seat), so test it out first. They do come in handy, and are easier to haul around than a big-a$$ bottle of water.

Oh yeah, make sure you get a cleaning kit for whatever one you decide on. Some come with one included, some don't. Moldy tubes are gross.

Sandwichwarrior

Hauling ass so others don't have to.
I have one of these on my vest.

ps_30112.gif

HotShot 2L Olive Drab

I bribed a PR to put a couple of quick-snaps in the back of my vest, and i just hook it on before I fly.

Of course keep in mind I'm a Helo' guy and our vests are set up a little different.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd walk a mile for a Camel(back)

You guys are really lucky.....I tell you, we would have won the war if we had all the neat stuff you carry today.

We used to carry cans of Coke (O.K. some sissy guys carried 7-Up) in the A-6 and A-4. It made for some interesting pull-tab, duck & cover evolutions while flying pressurized.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
We carried a big orange gatorade cooler in the '46 - hooked to the avionics rack in the cabin area. The crew chief would bring you a nice big cup of icey cold H20 on those hot desert days/nights. No cool camelbacks for us - old style LPU/SV-2 and big ass HEEDS bottles. Leather old style shoulder holster with 1911 .45 and 3 extra magazines in a MAF bag in my leg lower pocket. SPH-3 brain bucket helmet covered with goofy reflective tape.

On a rewally long day of flying the '46 you could find yourself eating all three meals in the cockpit from box lunches...

I rigged a very nice coffee mug holder to the cockpit sliding windows too! ahhhhh!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I'll utilize the technology available to me. ;)

I still plan on having my aircrew bring me iced gatorade and hot coffee. Then again, I also plan on them saying "go to hell.....sir."

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our PR's seemed to not be in the loop on attaching stuff to the aerosave (mesh) vest. They had us put the bladder of a camelback in big inside pocket on the left side and then looped the hose around the neck so you could drink from it on the right. It did make it easier to remove for filling and cleaning though.

Reactions: E5B

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worst case scenario I'll jimmy-rig the thing around the side or what not. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

lcaeagle913

pilot
If I remember correctly from sere, if you get a camelback sewn into your sv2, I don't think it counts against your five pounds.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac, you're gay for even asking about this one. If you want more water, bring a water bottle, or two. Or, just bring your camel back which should be issues to you. Nuggets :eek:

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bunk-
I had to fight just to get brown freaking boots and a tan flightsuit. And I'm not good at reach arounds to grab the bottle. I heard you were good at those though.
Really though, I find it a pain in the ass to have to ask the copilot to grab my water bottle, especially when he's out procurring food from the ship while I'm watching everyone load the plane. I realize it's a petty complaint, but I might as well make the job easier. And did you know you could put vodka in that thing?!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well it seems that a lot of guys in the squadron still have the SV-2. The ones that are deploying have priority on the new vest. Unfortunately the new one is not as comfortable as the SV-2, and is currently more difficult to get on and off since there are leg straps (similar to a torso harness). This makes it a pain in the butt to put in on or take it off in the back of the aircraft (as in FCLPs or for the aircrew). Also, it's tighter than the SV-2 and the interior pockets are not comfortable against the body. The lower pocket sections on mine are empty because when sitting down they would dig into my abdomen.

Overall I see the economics of having a standard vest for multiple platforms. Unfortunately we're not authorized to customize it much as to the layout. For example, we're not authorized to attach a Camelbak (where this thread got started) despite the fact that there are some specifically made for a web vest. Bummer.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
Bunk-
I had to fight just to get brown freaking boots and a tan flightsuit. And I'm not good at reach arounds to grab the bottle. I heard you were good at those though.
Really though, I find it a pain in the ass to have to ask the copilot to grab my water bottle, especially when he's out procurring food from the ship while I'm watching everyone load the plane. I realize it's a petty complaint, but I might as well make the job easier. And did you know you could put vodka in that thing?!

kmac, you should know being the boss out here means I get the reach arounds.....I don't give them ;)

Hey, just to make sure you're comfortable, bring a pillow and lumbar support. Is there anything else VRC-30 could provide our new nugget to make him comfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.