• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I cross from E-Navy to O-USMC?

I want to cross over from enlisted sailor to marine officer. How do I do this while still in the Navy? I have found the instruction for OCS, but nowhere does it give guidelines for crossing branches. I know it is possible b/c I met a Marine in SERE school that was former enlisted Navy, but I did not have time to get the information from him. Any guidance will help.

thanks,

ATAN Reeves

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Yes. Let your chain know your intentions, contact a Marine OSO. Consult MILPERSMAN 1910-102.

My command career counselor doesn't really know much about ocs packages. I'll have my degree finished this December, but I have been told by one of the 2nd Classes in my shop to go ahead and get a start on it. I checked out MILPERSMAN 1910-102 but I don't know if I am able to be separated.
I need to get the ASTB out of the way, but I don't know if they offer the test at NAS Brunswick.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Back when I took it...the ASTB that is....It could be administered by any E-7 or above. There are instructions to request a copy of the test and then someone in your COC can watch while you take it. Not too big a deal...

Cordespc

None
Contributor
My command career counselor doesn't really know much about ocs packages.
He usually won't.
I checked out MILPERSMAN 1910-102 but I don't know if I am able to be separated.
Yes, paragraph 6 address your situation specifically. If approved, PERS will grant you a conditional release from the Navy contingent on your selection. It is good for a year.
I need to get the ASTB out of the way, but I don't know if they offer the test at NAS Brunswick.
Go through your Command Carreer Counselor, then try the Educational Services Officer, then try your local Navy or Marine Corps OSO.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I know it is doable.. Had a Student once that was a Navy Seal then Marine SNA.. Got Hornets.. Solid dude! The shame was that he ended up under the radar because we had another Seal who was Navy so got to wear his pin.. So the dude with the pin got all kinds of kudos for first Seal winged in Meridian, Yada, Yada while the Marine dude got winged around same time frame and only a couple of us (IPs) even knew his background... Lots of respect for him... Humble... Also followed #1 rule of flight school--- Be invisible...

I was reading MILPERSMAN 1910-102 paragraph 6, and it states that "members who incurred additional obligated service" will not be approved. When I signed my contract I committed to a 5th year for $50,000 NCF. Will this prevent me from pursuing a commission in the Marine Corps?

Old NFO

None
I was reading MILPERSMAN 1910-102 paragraph 6, and it states that "members who incurred additional obligated service" will not be approved. When I signed my contract I committed to a 5th year for $50,000 NCF. Will this prevent me from pursuing a commission in the Marine Corps?
Not necessarily- I was on an SRB (yes I'm old) reenlistment when I got commissioned. It's not like you're going to the Air Farce or anything like that... You are staying within DON. Always ask the question, but be prepeared to keep asking until you get the real answer. If you're in Broomstick you must be in VP, there are a lot of prior E's there, so use those folks. Good Luck:)

Marine OCS Application while E-Navy

I have been trying to make contact with the Marine OSO in New Hampshire, but I keep getting in touch with a civilian working there that won't give me any information or guidance until I get seperated from the Navy.

All I want is the Marine OCS package so I can get all of my letters of reference and essays put together.

I have the instruction for Navy OCS, but I know the process is different. My command career counselor is absent, and I need some guidance. Do any of you here know of an OSO I can get in touch with to get it all started? It seems like the civilian working in the OSO office doesn't want to put more Marine officers in the fleet. Maybe I should just stay Navy.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
It seems like the civilian working in the OSO office doesn't want to put more Marine officers in the fleet.

Shipmate,
It is not the OSO's civilian assistant's job to recruit Marine Officers from the active duty Navy force. It is his/her job to perform administrative tasks in support of the OSO who identifies extremely qualified applicants from a pool of highly qualified applicants. In short, officer selection is vastly different from recruiting.

If becoming an Officer of Marines is something you truly want to pursue, 99.9% of the effort, research, legwork must come from you. If you have run into a wall with the local Officer selection office, have you been in contact with the district? How about Headquarters Marine Corps? Have you applied for a conditional release, recorded a PFT, taken the ASTB, arranged a flight physical to show your level of commitment and preparedness? If not, why?
Maybe I should just stay Navy
Asking others for help will only get you oriented in the right direction. The onus is completely on you to make it work. If you are unwilling or unable to do that then yes, this statement is absolutely true.

I'm having my flight physical done this Friday, and I have a PFT coming up October 23rd. The conditional release is giving me some trouble, though. I'm not sure how to route the chit, but I'm going to consult the 2nd Classes in my shop for help.

Recently I've been farmed out for other tasks in my shop. I have been in touch with the recruiter's office here in Brunswick. I have all of the study guides for the ASTB, and I am prepared and willing to make any effort required.

I need to get in touch with my father (retired USMC officer) because many of his friends would be more than willing to help with letters and assistance. I have the resources, and I thank you for helping me realize what I must do.

The process is long and arduous, and my biggest obstacles are self-doubt and wanting expedient results. All good things take time.

Thanks.

doctorjake

I'm trying to do the same thing. The Conditional release is the last thing holding me up right now. You have to get the DD form 368 filled out and signed by the OSO and then it goes to your CO for approval, but before your CO can sign it, you have to submit a 1306/7 that goes off to BUPERS for ultimate approval. Basically you end up being the middle-man in the whole process.