• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I reapply for SNA?

FlyBoy819

I wanna go Fast!
Here's whats going on. I was Pro Rec'd for NFO for the BDCP. I feel that being a NFO would be a great way to serve in the Navy and I am honored that they considered me for it. The problem is that I still want to try for a Pilot slot. I know that NFO's can switch over later on, but posibility of that happening is rare. Anyways, my question is will it hurt my chances of receiving a pilot slot if I turn down this offer? Could I be "blacklisted"? Finally would anyone happen to know if this would hurt me if I apply for the "air force"? I know the Navy is the way to go, I'm just courious. Also I searched for informaiton about declining a commission, but didn't find anything.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Yes you can turn down NFO and reapply for pilot, and as long as you have good strong reasons in your turndown and reconsideration letters as well as an improved package the second time around it shouldn't blacklist you.

NFO isn't a bad gig though

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I don't think the Air Force will care if you applied for any other programs.

If you can hack UPT Phase I, you can get anything you want. Most everyone in the AF training pipelines gets either; 1. What they want. 2. What their grades deserve.

I have only met two AF pilots out of hundreds that didn't get what they chose. That's speaks for itself. You want fighters? You have fighter grades. You get fighters.

Not so in the Navy.

That being said, I still don't know if I'd have gone AF right off the bat if I was suddenly presented with a magic time machine and able to go back and do it again. I'm very proud of my Navy wings and my time in the Nav before I took my interservice transition.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Ditto to what Mb1k said.

He's got it on the mark.
Went through AF primary and saw everyone got what they deserved. Jet grades guys got jets, rest got T-1 or Corpus.

My little brother (not so little) just graduated UPT and same case in his class.
Can't wait to see him at the merge.

mb1k

pilot
None
And then they meet once again later on flying Predators?!?

I'll answer that one! Met a lot of Pred guys, same story. Know a few personally too. Most of them, and I'm not going to throw a number out there, went to Preds willingly. I myself thought about it too.

It's easy duty, and they promise you a payback tour of your choice. That is, if your a C-model Eagle dude and you want Alaska... taking Preds is a sure fire ticket to get it after Preds. But since my jet has only one location, there was no incentive to take "the Pred hit". There was no payback they could offer me that sounded good.

FlyBoy819

I wanna go Fast!
Thanks guys. I thought there was something, but my recruiter was making it sound like I couldn't apply again, or that it would be worthless. I have my reason for do this, and I know NFO isn't a bad gig at all, I just don't think it is right for me.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's easy duty, and they promise you a payback tour of your choice. That is, if your a C-model Eagle dude and you want Alaska... taking Preds is a sure fire ticket to get it after Preds. But since my jet has only one location, there was no incentive to take "the Pred hit". There was no payback they could offer me that sounded good.

From what I hear there is a lot more to it than that right now.

From all the rumblings going on I'm not too sure the AF is going to be a good place or a secure job for a lot of pilots over the next 10-20 years.

maxlife

From what I understand you can submit a reconsider package even after you are in BDCP, you must have something new for them to look at ie more flight time or getting your Comm/instrument. My advice get onboard one of the greatest programs out there (BDCP) then look at resubmitting during your 2 years on the gravey train.

mb1k

pilot
None
From what I hear there is a lot more to it than that right now.

From all the rumblings going on I'm not too sure the AF is going to be a good place or a secure job for a lot of pilots over the next 10-20 years.

My friend's husband is a A-10/Pred pilot right now. There's lots of things going on... that's probably an understatement. I broke off interest in when things started to fall apart with their promises. They were supposed to have companion trainers to keep you current in a real aircraft. The buzz was T-37s, and then maybe three T-6s per base, etc. That went away, then there were rumblings of some guys not getting their payback tours. I changed the subject with my assignments officer from UAVs to white jet as quick as I could...

But he wanted Preds, any dissatisfaction he's got right now isn't related to the choice he made. The pilot situation is another one of those things that rumbles for awhile then goes away... least that's the way I see it. I think it's YG 2005 or so.

FlyBoy819

I wanna go Fast!
From what I understand you can submit a reconsider package even after you are in BDCP, you must have something new for them to look at ie more flight time or getting your Comm/instrument. My advice get onboard one of the greatest programs out there (BDCP) then look at resubmitting during your 2 years on the gravey train.

I didn't know that. Does anyone know when you could do a reconsider package in BDCP?