• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you be involuntarily released from service?

mrpink

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for Marine Corps OCC with the aviation option and was wondering if it's possible to be forcibly released from service before retirement? Does the military lay off pilots if there is an excess?

Thanks.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
To piggyback onto A4's answer, it's even easier for officers with less than 6 years of service. After 6 years, they have to start paying separation pay, which amounts to a pretty large chunk of money.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To piggyback onto A4's answer, it's even easier for officers with less than 6 years of service. After 6 years, they have to start paying separation pay, which amounts to a pretty large chunk of money.

It's also extremely rare. We haven't had a no kidding RIF in >15 years. The Navy has gotten a bit better about using other methods to "shape" the force structure. I would say that military service comes with quite a bit more job security than most civilian gigs, and it's usually not linked with what the economy is doing. Now, if you attrite from a training program (like flight school), all bets are off and you may be asked to leave, but once you're established in the fleet and aren't a complete fuck-up, your job is pretty secure.

Brett

P3 F0

None
Well, I've seen the security clearance thing come to pass (no, not with me), and the guy survived to live out his 20. So you never know.

Navy in the past few years went to the Volunteer Sep Pay thing to trim down. Don't know if it'll happen again, and I'd love to know if it achieved whatever objectives spawned the thing. What I think we may see in the next few years is the 15-year retirement come back. Maybe.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If you're going to the Corps, it's not a good time to become an NFO. Once their F-18Ds & EA-6Bs are gone, they're all outta jobs. The Corps is planning for this, but it has to be an ugly time regardless.

mrpink

I must be bright eyed and bushy tailed cause I'm actually excited so many winged officers answered my thread! :D Thanks everybody. I'm heading to Quantico in October so I'm a million miles away from being a pilot, and I probably jixned myself by asking about job security, so my chances must be even more tiny. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
All the best of luck, MrPink.

But to the general question ... with guys like Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA, Chairman of the House Finance Committee) writing things like:

"....if, beginning one year from now, we were to cut military spending by 25% from its projected levels, we would still be immeasurably stronger than any combination of nations with whom we might be engaged". (The Nation, February 11, 2009)

25% ??? You're going to have a RIF -- you can call it whatever you like; call it a baseball for all I care -- but with the current bunch in power, the political climate, and the spending on 'economic recovery' going through the roof -- the military WILL suffer, big time ... the 'stimulus money' has to come from somewhere -- and the military is always an 'easy' target for cuts.

Cuts: just like after both WW's, Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, Gulf 1 .... you pick it. There's a thought provoking/pretty good article in the June 2009 Proceedings by Barrett Tillman titled: "Fear and Loathing in the Post-Naval Era" ....
some of you might want to read it and consider the potential ramifications re: your careers.

nursesoon

Banned
. some of you might want to read it and consider the potential ramifications re: your careers
Can't say that I find it that discouraging, if they only let me do 6 years I'll just find a civilian hospital to work for after having got invaluable training and experience. I could see how it would be a bigger concern for pilots though. This administration is still fighting two wars, I wouldn't expect cuts until they are wrapped up in a few years.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
All the best of luck, MrPink.

But to the general question ... with guys like Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA, Chairman of the House Finance Committee) writing things like:

"....if, beginning one year from now, we were to cut military spending by 25% from its projected levels, we would still be immeasurably stronger than any combination of nations with whom we might be engaged". (The Nation, February 11, 2009)

Here's some great photo's of Barney to go with his quote:

Gertrude+Stein+Democratic+Club+Hosts+Transgender+doJSg0cDZpnl.jpg

Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) speaks with Jeri Hughes at The People's LBGT Gayla January 18, 2009 in Washington, D.C. Members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities came to attend the inaugural ball and celebrate ahead of Tuesday's swearing in of President-elect Barack Obama. Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, was the first member of Congress to openly come out as gay. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Barney Frank;Jeri Hughes
(Photo by John Moore/Getty Images North America)

barney_frank.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't quite capture the ridiculousness of a massachusetts accent with a terrible lisp...close though.