• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Canadian F/A-18s in Nashville

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I work at an FBO and (unfortunately) our competitor has the military contract. However, when they get big birds (C-130s and larger) or multiple flights that need ramp space overnight, they put them next to our ramp, between our terminal and our hangars. The past couple of days there were 13 Canadian Hornets on the ramp. I didn't have my camera w/me that day, but there were 3 or 4 D models and the rest were Cs. I wasn't able to tell if they were Navy or Air Force (I'm not sure which branch flies them). Not sure why they were here either? They each had three drop tanks. My guess is they were on their way to NASP, Jax or Texas?

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
We get them clearing immigration/customs all the time at MSP...

It's nice to see something other than a NW... I mean Delta bird rumbling down the strip.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Were they headed south ... ??? Tyndall, perhaps?? NAS JRB Ft. Worth?? The Brownwood MOA ??? :eek:

We used to have to drag our asses and our 20 year-old airplanes and 35-something-year-old bodies all the way to CFB Cold Lake to "play" w/ the then-new CF-18's .... I'm glad to see their progeny has decided to venture south of the border to warmer climes ... :)

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
A4s, I think they were headed south. Their flight plans were blocked, so we weren't able to see them on our civilian flight tracker. They were only at BNA for a night. As far as clearing customs, I don't remember a customs vehicle on the ramp during their arrival, which means they had probably entered elsewhere. It was cool towing our regular tenants (Falcons, Challengers, G4s, etc) with Hornets on the left and right pointed right at us. On the note of military traffic at BNA, there is a regular amount of Navy traffic going into Signature. If those on XCs come into BNA, PM me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wasn't able to tell if they were Navy or Air Force (I'm not sure which branch flies them).

Technically they don't have an Air Force or Navy anymore, they got rid of the service distinctions in 1968. They are the Air Command and Maritime Command now.

The F/A-18's are in the Air Command, formerly the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Anyone here can correct me if they are certain, but I'm pretty sure that Canada's F-18s (78) are all A & B models - as, for that matter, are Spain's (89) & Australia's (71). The Aussies are buying new E/F models but those deliveries don't start for a year or two. The US Navy & Marine Corps operate many C's & D's, but only Finland w/ ~ 7 D models is the lone international operator not using the ultra-short range A & B models.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anyone here can correct me if they are certain, but I'm pretty sure that Canada's F-18s (78) are all A & B models -
I'm gonna say you're right ... unless they're replaced their original issue equipment -- and I don't think they have ... :)

So that would mean that most of these CF-18's have A-4 pipper burns on their rear surfaces ... ??? :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone here can correct me if they are certain, but I'm pretty sure that Canada's F-18s (78) are all A & B models - as, for that matter, are Spain's (89) & Australia's (71). The Aussies are buying new E/F models but those deliveries don't start for a year or two. The US Navy & Marine Corps operate many C's & D's, but only Finland w/ ~ 7 D models is the lone international operator not using the ultra-short range A & B models.

Canada's are A/B models, though they officially call them CF-188's. They have recently been upgraded though with equipment that brings them up to late C/D standard.

The other countries that bought the C/D models include Switzerland, Kuwait and Malaysia (only D's).

P.S. Ultra short range? I thought A/C's and B/D's had similar ranges.

P.P.S. Canada bought 138 Hornets, the rest are in storage or have been retired.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Flash: I enjoy ripping on the F-18A-D's because I think the $25BN the Navy spent on them was one of the larger wastes in U.S. military history. Don't get me wrong: I think the F-18E/F is a great a/c. IMHO, a Navy F-4 with a gun & multi-mode radar (never built) would have cost 1/5th of what we pee'd away on Lawn Darts and outperformed them in everything except turning. The rest of the $$ saved could then have been spent on several hundred F-14D's - which was another awesome Naval a/c that barely got built. JMHO, of course.

highside7r

None
Check out the photo site fencecheck.com with a forum thread on Navy Ft. Worth, several pics of RCAF Hornets working the ranges. The photo guys are out there every day getting some great shots of a very busy JRB.

Marco

They snowbirded down to Homestead last year with a couple of Alpha Jets from Top Aces. IIRC, Miami/Homestead is a regular wintertime thing for them.