• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

canopy jettisson: the story

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

Go to 2:23 or so and you'll see a clip of an A6 Intruder on the cat with a drop tank that catches fire. The pilot jettisons the canopy and it seems pretty straightforward. Here's the great story that goes along with it.

The crew hears a 'thwump' sound followed by a small explosion. The pilot (second cruise guy) looks left and sees a big fireball under the airplane, yells to the B/N (brand new nugget; maybe 30 traps in the squadron) that they're on fire and then jettisons the canopy. He pops his upper and lower koch fittings and then pulls the manual jettison handle on the seat as a quick way to release the leg straps. Because the fire is on the left side, he has to go out the right side (the B/N side). As he stands up to climb out, he sees the B/N hasn't unstrapped and yells at him "Hey, we're on fire; get the fvck out." The B/N replies "I need to properly shut the system down so it won't dump next flight," to which the pilot says, as he is literally stepping on him climbing out, "fine, you and your system stay here and burn up." The B/n got the hint and climbed out many seconds later. You can see it all in the clip.

This was my second squadron tour and we were on workups in the JAX Op area. I have a color photo I'll try to scan it of the canopy in flight directly over the tail of the airplane.

Keep in mind the A6 was a Grumman Ironworks product. The jet flew the next day!

MasterBates

Sadly, the number of Grumman Products flying is dwindling..

Anything left besides the:

EA-6B (being replaced)
E-2 (will be flying forever)
C-2 (will be flying longer than the E2)

KSUFLY

pilot
I'm pretty sure that was Skeeterman as the pilot. Intruder Driver, can you confirm that?

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I'm pretty sure that was Skeeterman as the pilot. Intruder Driver, can you confirm that?

He was not the pilot. He was, though, the captain of the ship.

The B/N's reaction led to some related comment at every AOM or safety standdown, such as:

"If the captain of the ship orders 'Abandon Ship,' do not proceed to your bunkroom to make sure your laundry is folded"

"New NATOPS change for pilots: Under emergency jettison procedures, if egressing through the left side, step on the B/N's balls on the way out to get his attention. If egressing via the left side, after standing up in the cockpit, kick or punch the B/N in the head to get his attention. If no reaction from the B/N, smile and ask him where he keeps the naked pictures of his wife/girlfriend."

"From the chaplain: new priorities, God, system, country, family, system, lunch, sleep, system, self."

The list grew weekly for about a year.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
If I'm right that was on the Forrestal in April 1986. If it was the guy dragging down the hose was me. I was with HS-15 at the time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I'm right that was on the Forrestal in April 1986. If it was the guy dragging down the hose was me. I was with HS-15 at the time.

I was at helm of Approach at the time and got outstanding pictures of the event which we put on our Flight Deck Awareness Manual...it was an attention getter for sure. We also included the PLAT tape in the Crash n Bash video we used at Tailhook for a draw to our booth. An epic event for sure!

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
The photo of the canopy frozen over the tail with all the flames around the bottom of the jet is a classic. I have a color 10x14 framed in my office.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....As he stands up to climb out (of the A-6) , he sees the B/N hasn't unstrapped and yells at him "Hey, .... get the fvck out."
Soooooooo ... what's the problem??? Isn't that how we pilots usually dismount ... ??? :D

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The photo of the canopy frozen over the tail with all the flames around the bottom of the jet is a classic. I have a color 10x14 framed in my office.

Since i finally got internet here in wonderful Meridian, I can post that pic.

fire20photo2dd6.jpg