• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Canopy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

corona

Does anyone know what the purpose is to the rails that run through the canopy of the Harrier and T-45? Been trying to figure this one out.

Yessir

Hooker
pilot
You mean the lines through the canopy above the pilot? Those are the mild detonating cord(MDC) used to shatter the canopy during ejection or when you need to egress and cant open the canopy

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Isn't that kinda impede the pilots vision a little?

not really, its directly over your head so you aren't really looking through it that often and it isn't that thick anyway. In the T45 the canopy bow was much more of an impediment than the MDC cord was.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You mean this?

harkkpt_2.jpg

Yeah it's MDC. Shatters the canopy during egress/ejection.

beau

I've only noticed that it gets in the way when doing some form flying...but really it does not really bother you.....maybe down the road in ACM it might be annoying....

asise

It really tied the room together.
Other than the obvious shape, why that particular pattern? I can see how you'd get a better shatter than just a straight line, but is there something else?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't that kinda impede the pilots vision a little?

It isn't don't impede at it a bit, but it do does the isn't some occasion See, that helpeds it don't to do nothing.

Argghhhhhh....
We need a grammar checker button, too.

Corona, didn't we have this little talk before?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other than the obvious shape, why that particular pattern? I can see how you'd get a better shatter than just a straight line, but is there something else?
I think the main goal is to shatter the top of the canopy where your head is going to go through a split second later. The rest is a bit less important as long as you and the seat fit through. That said, there is also a peripheral MDC on the T-45 that you can't see because it's mounted to the canopy rail. So if you pull the handle (ideally) the whole thing goes. It also ignites from both ends, so if there is a break in the line the whole thing still goes off.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Or you could just be cool and fly helos and not have to worry about ejecting.:icon_smil Autorotation is for real aviators.:eek:

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Didn't the Russians have an ejection system for helos? Wonder how that worked out. It doesn't seem like it would be a difficult system, but then I'm sure the aircrew in back wouldn't appreciate their pilots ditchin on them.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It was used on the single seat KA-50. It is considered one of the most high-tech helicopters Russia has ever produced, and as such, there aren't many of them around. It is similar to the Apache. It also has contra-rotating rotorblades. The ejection sequence starts with the automatic rotor separation and then functions like a regular ejection seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.