• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Care to explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman

According to the 'NEW NAVY'(which can be viewed at geocities.com) about age waiver: AGE WAIVER FOR MANY SPECIFIC DESIGNATORS MAY BE GRANTED FOR FLEET APPLICANTS ON A MONTH-FOR-MONTH BASIS FOR PRIOR ACTIVE-DUTY SERVICE. Care to give light?

rayman

kaiangel

Usually the month by moth waiver is up to 36 months. So if you had over 36 months enlisted service then you could attend flight school up to age 31, as opposed to 29 for someone without.

Rayman

Kaiangel,
So, say I have just been on my 6th month as an enlisted personnel and I want to apply for a commission(SNA), is it possible that I can apply? Or I have to wait to finish my 36mo service time?

rayman

rhollin1

Rayman..You might get different suggestions from different people, but I suggest you start building relationships with your superiors. Get in good with your platoon leader and if possible with your CO and XO. When you submit your app, you are going to want officers to provide a letter of recommendation for you. And I would think that having a CO from your own command is a plus. Plus you are going to have to convince your command to let you go. They are going to have to fill your billet spot and depending on your rating, which might be easier said than done. If your a hot sailor keep it that way and don't ***k up! I'm not saying that you wouldn't get in if you put it in now, but I do think that it might be a little difficult.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

DDriver

Originally posted by rhollin1
Plus you are going to have to convince your command to let you go

recipe..
1. Request for forward deployed/operational billet while enlisted
2. Request for special locations (i.e. research -->isolated islands)
3. Get your pin (i.e. SW/AW/FMF/DV etc...)
4. Leadership position, "can-do" attitude, take college courses...

I'm still enlisted. Two buddies I know got commissioned. I know some guys here are prior enlisted. Share the wealth.

WFU2USN

Ray,
What's your current rate?

You can submit your OCS/Commissioning package at any time. Being squared away is important. My suggestions in addition to the above:

1. Do volunteer work - tutoring, through a church, wherever.
2. GETTING YOUR PIN IS WAAAAY IMPORTANT!! (Aptly stated above!)
3. Work Hard, be on time, etc.
4. Talk to your Career Counselor - when I applied, successfully, for BOOST several years ago, our NC1 was very helpful in ensuring I had good officer reviews, was in contact w/ the CO, CMC and XO regarding what I wanted, etc.
5. As far as your timeframe, you can apply whenever, but I think you'll need your CO's recommendation - I know I had to have one for both my BOOST & OCS packages.

I think that's all for now!

Good Luck!

Robin

Rayman

Rhollin1,
So, it is possible to apply though just only 6mo+ of service time as a prior. Thanks for the info.

DDriver,
I'll take into consideration the 'recipe'. Thanks.

WFU2USN,
I'm just laying all the plans that I've got in my mind. I'm not yet an enlisted but soon I'll be one. I wanted to enlist to avail of that waiver because of my age. Thanks alot all.

rayman

rhollin1

If you have a BS/A I wouldn't waste my time going in as enlisted. I think the way it works is that they take the time you were enlisted and divide it by 2 and subtract that from your age. So in my case, I am 28 and I have three years prior Navy. So I would come in under the age limit. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

Rayman

Originally posted by rhollin1
I think the way it works is that they take the time you were enlisted and divide it by 2 and subtract that from your age.

This is the part that I don't understand. Can somebody please clarify? You can't find this on the OPNAVINST.

rayman

jjitaly2001

In some other programs there is a requirement for an applicant to be a certain rank or have a certain amount of time as an enlisted before he/she is eligible to apply. For example, the Seaman to Admiral Program Instruction states:

..."Applicants must be serving in paygrade E-4 or
above with at least 4 years of active duty as of 30 September of
the application year...."

There is no statement in the OCS instruction like this. You should go check out the instruction on line. Its at http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/1420.htm. Really good info....

John - OCS 07 December

Rayman

In the Chap7, needed is required minimum time remaining. The navy needs 6 months or more remaining of obligated service time to apply otherwise you have to reenlist. Can I conclude that though, say, I'm barely 7 months on my 4 years of enlistment, I can apply for OCS? Thanks in advance.

rayman

DDriver

Rayman,
Why not contact CNET or BUPERS or some direct source? Talk to them... Not to say that the folks here wont give you the best honest advice/info but - remember those offices are the ones who set the rules and changes...

You mentioned you're already 29. And you might also consider contacting the other branches. Off course you should try the USN/USMC first.

Hopes this help...

Status
Not open for further replies.