• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Career Officers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I think most people will agree that the Navy, and the military in general, provides some great stress-handling and leadership skills. A military background seems to be a positive thing to have on the resume once you're looking for a job outside the military.

The question I have is : What percentage of commissioned officers actually go on to become "lifers", and how many just "five and dive"? There probably isn't any official data on this, so feel free to gather from your own experiences. Thanks, hope to hear some responses soon.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

JKD

I'm sure there is data on this somewhere. The term the military uses is retention (this doesn't mean they complete 20, but it does mean they stay past the initial enlistment).

You may be able to find some data in a web search of military (or Navy) officer retention... something like that. I'm not sure if any of this info will be on staynavy.navy.mil or BUPERS.
(sorry for the vague response)

sailorgloom

Most of my buddies used the O3 pay grade as their make or break period. About a third of my friends got out at O3.

-SG

apendle

I think the percentage is pretty high for those who become officers to make a career out of it(except for maybe those in the medical/dental fields) I was an enlisted dude on a ship in the mid 90's, and about 1 out of about 5 officers I would meet decided to get out. Being young and naive in those days I couldn't understand why an officer would get out, but people have their reasons. I obviously don't have any statistics on this but I think being an officer gives you a real priveleged feeling, that most won't let go of to easily. Just my opinion.

Integer

Banned
I had just read an article stating some facts on this earlier this month. I think it was an article about "Should we keep the USNA?" The pro's and con's of keeping the academy. One of the pro's was that half of the USNA officers become lifers, but only 13% of the ROTC group and 11% of the OCS squad does... I will try to find this article and see how well my memory served me :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What publication was this in?
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
thanks, i'd definitely like to get ahold of that article too...

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Integer

Banned
It was some in online newspaper, something like "The Miami Herald." I think the article was dated between 96 and 2001. I know it asked whether we need to do away with military academies, not just the USNA. But I am pretty sure those statistics were from a section about the NA. Take them with a grain of salt until the article is found, I know I would if I wasn't me. ~Int

Attilla

That logic stands to reason. If you go into the Naval Academy right out of high school, then clearly you want to be in the Navy. If you enter through OCS, then you started school with possibly different intentions. Circumstances being whatever they are, the Navy is probably an alternative or means to an end rather than the ultimate goal.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
The best advice I heard on careers (from a former squadron CO who loves his job) is to stay in as long as you're enjoying what you do. I don't have any goals for advancement or a long career - if the Navy continues to want me and the feeling is mutual, then great. I could care less if I don't do the shore or disassociated tours that are career-enhancing. If I commit career suicide by not punching the right tickets, oh well. At least I'll be able to say I served my country for ten years, then joined a heavy metal band, grew my hair really long, and got tattoos on my lower arms.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in motivation between Academy and ROTC/OCS guys. The USNA Mafia may be part of the reason why us ring-knockers tend to advance further.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
From a pilot's perspective, a lot has to do with the economy. During the late '90s, high paying pilot jobs were easy to find. Now, pilots are being furloughed, the economy is down, and that guaranteed government job is looking much more attractive. Like everything else, it goes in cycles.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ring Knockers do seem more likely to stay in. But I'm not so sure there is much bearing on advancement based on commissioning source. When you get real senior folks on the advancement boards they will recognize a name. If it is a former class mate and the impression was good maybe it will be a tie breaker in the vote. Peformance is king however. Do a good job and you will compete favorably with anyone. They don't even brief the commissioning source in an advancement board. Here is a little exersize for you guys. Consider it homework. Just check and see how manny of the last 4 or 5 CNOs were academy grads. Might surprise you. The advise McNamara got about career is good. I remeber taking several college students on a sub tour years ago. We got a breifing from the admiral. One of the students asked the 20+ year admiral when he decided to make the Navy a career. His response was, "I haven't yet". He went on to say pretty much what you read above. Look at each set of orders or opportunities on their own merit. If it sounds fun do it. When it isn't fun anymore or there are better opportunities else where, leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.