• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Careers

joeflys

Hello guys. I just submitted my package for OCS for a SNA slot. I was wondering about careers in the Navy, and how much control you have over your career. I have heard some stories about how people fly for 2 or 3 years, then get stuck flying a desk for a couple years. I was wondering how a normal career is going in the last couple years. Do you pretty much get flying assingments for you 8 year committment, or do you get stuck doing other things? Also, how much control do you have over what assignments you get assigned to? Do you get to pick preferences and then based on the needs of the Navy get placed in different locations and jobs? Basically I am trying to understand what my next 8 to possibly 20 years might be like. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
It would depend on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to make the Navy a career (to 20 yrs+) but you intend on flying the entire time, you will not be very successful. In your obligated 8 yrs of service or so after winging, you will at some point probably be required to do a job that does not involve you flying an aircraft. It is part of you becoming a well-rounded Naval Officer, and is the only real way for you to stay competative in many cases. You have some say in where you go, but most of the time you are making a request and the detailer will tell you what he can and can't due. Needs of the Navy always win out. In short, if you want to have a career in the military, but only want to fly the entire time, then you have picked the wrong service!