• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCX of a lifetime...

phrogpilot73

Just got back tonight, I'm exhausted - but I have memories to last forever.

4 days, 22.7 flight hours. Route of flight: Fallon, NV - Nampa, ID, - Pocatello, ID - Cody, WY - Rapid City, SD - Sioux City, IA - Ames, IA - Lafayette, IN - Charleston, WV - Norfolk.

Here are the pictures:

Ominous Start to the CCX:
IMGP0386.jpg

Weathered in at Nampa, ID and our Hoopty crew car:
IMGP0406.jpg

Might as well have a beer at... Denny's?!?
IMGP0407.jpg

Weather breaks, but so do we...
IMGP0411.jpg

Doing a little TERF on a river just north of Boise, enroute to Pocatello:
IMGP0419.jpg

IMGP0430.jpg

IMGP0431.jpg

IMGP0469.jpg

IMGP0482.jpg

Craters of the Moon National Park, outside Idaho Falls:
IMGP0497.jpg

Badlands of South Dakota:
IMGP0502.jpg

IMGP0511.jpg

Crazy Horse Monument:
IMGP0532.jpg

IMGP0536.jpg

Mount Rushmore:
IMGP0537.jpg

IMGP0539.jpg

IMGP0542.jpg

426 (problem child) sporting her new artwork on engine armor. No problems after that. I'm convinced she wanted to get back and show the others...
IMGP0544.jpg

Manning up for the last leg home. The sticker says it all.
IMGP0551.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Beautiful pics on the river-run, Cory! Badlands look BAD, Mt Rushmore looks awesome! I'm jealous. I haven't seen much more than NATOPS in the past couple days or so...

MasterBates

Looks like it was a blast..

I'm wheels in the well for MI at 0900, so I'll have to check it out more when I get back.

phrogpilot73

Cool pics, looks like a fun trip. Lot of flying though for 4 days...
That's about standard for getting the helicopters across the country. We flew south on the way out (via Memphis, Albuquerque, Las Vegas) and it took 22.4 hours. So, what does that REALLY mean? I'm at almost 70 hours for this month...

Mt Rushmore looks ripe for some pinacle practice.
I think someone else might have thought about it. It's inside the wildlife refuge, but we got permission to come in lower. Their only stipulation was remain outside the perimeter road (which is 1/2 mile away).

Oh, and I was at the controls through Yellowstone (working my ass off as it turns out, lots of weird wind + high altitude) so when I get my hands on those pics, I'll post them here.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I'm so jealous, I did that tour on OLR West with LSI back in 1999. Only difference was I was working on Army CH47s and UH60Ls at the time.

+1

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
What goes on when you're in the middle of nowhere (say Idaho) and you have maintenance issues that require parts?

Way cool pictures btw. You remind me of Clark Griswold crossing the country in the Family Truckster.

phrogpilot73

What goes on when you're in the middle of nowhere (say Idaho) and you have maintenance issues that require parts?
We spread load the most common parts among the two divisions. In our case, one of the aircraft in the other division had the part we needed. They flew over with the part, and we were on our way.

If we didn't have the part, that's where FEDEX comes in...