• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell Phone use in Aircraft

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I am trying to find out when cell phone use in aircraft use was prohibited in OPNAV. I have been able to find 3710.7T as of Mar 2004 that prohibited it. Does anybody have a copy of Sierra that could backdate that regulation further. Google failed me.

I am using it to help argue that using a cell phone in a naval helo is the best source of weather available.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I am trying to find out when cell phone use in aircraft use was prohibited in OPNAV. I have been able to find 3710.7T as of Mar 2004 that prohibited it. Does anybody have a copy of Sierra that could backdate that regulation further. Google failed me.

I am using it to help argue that using a cell phone in a naval helo is the best source of weather available.
Can't you guys just look out the window? If it looks real bad, put her down in a field and wait for ten minutes...;)
Pickle

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps some of the folks at NAVAIR who were involved in flight clearance for the iPad would be able to provide some detail/background on the issue.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good luck. There was some minute interest a while back, but I think that fizzled.

The rule was in Sierra, as well. I know it went back as far as 2000 (which might have been Romeo, but I can't remember).

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This indeed is a worthy cause. I used a cell phone back in my T-34 days to steer clear at night of a thunderstorm over west Texas. In San Diego, when the NASNI base radio was horrendous beyond 10 miles, we used our cell phones to text the SDO with any kind of aircraft issues/delays/etc.

Come to think of it, I wonder how the accelerometers in modern cell phones do in comparison to the standby gyros. It seems like it's sillier to NOT have a cell phone in the cockpit. Maybe this is kind of like uniform regs... know the rule and know when to break it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The S (2001) has the same wording in the same paragraph as it is in the T and U (7.1.1.6), "... shall not..." The R (1997) was phrased a bit less restrictive, "shall be minimized," also in the same paragraph. R and S both have a change bar right next to that phrase while the T and U don't have the change bar anymore. The rest of the paragraph is the same in all of those versions- ie. you can listen to tunes on your Sony Walkman, use your pocket calculator (instead of a whiz wheel), and shave with an electric razor as long as the PIC tells you it's OK.

No doubt this rule has prevented hundreds, if not thousands, of smoking holes...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For reference, the interim flight clearance for tablets explicitly prohibits the use of 3g/4g/wifi for the tablets while airborne. You can use 3g/4g/wifi while on deck.

I throw that out because it's effectively a second prohibition, aside from 3710, to using cellular in flight.

Hopefully you can make some headway, I'd hazard to guess most everyone has used their phone at some point.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My Ipad gets real time weather below 10k... Not that I've ever used that...