• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ch-46

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So are they still sending guys to learn how to fly the 46? or is finally being retired?

Depends on the service. They've been retired from the Navy, Marines still use them.

Brett

FLMarine

Nope, we're still around and we are still being deployed on the east coast. The last 46 east coast pilot got to the east coast in early 2006. As for the rest of the Corps last I've heard we'll be around until about 2018.

phrogpilot73

If you really want frogs, you might consider Okinawa. They'll be the last to switch, I think.

That is correct, the last two squadrons to transition to the devil's whirly bird are HMM-262 and HMM-265. Both Okinawa squadrons. As for the timelines for East Coast and West Coast, I just know that East Coast will be done first. It turns out I'm getting out at the right time, I don't want to have to be around and see the first Phrog go up on a stick in front of a base...

On a totally different note, deployment is going well - lots of port calls, so all the tax free pay is disappearing rapidly... France, Italy, Cyprus, and Dubai... For all those thinking about East Coast - Med floats are the way to go!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What's sad ids they finally have the '46 about fixed and now they are retiring them (granted it should have been retired 20 years ago)

But when you consider GPS, electronic, HSI, countermeasure upgrades, seat upgrades, lightweight ceramic armor, bullfrog fuel tanks, NVG lighting upgrade, dynamic component upgrade, and gold striped engines - you actually have a workable assault helicopter platform - just as they are retiring them!

phrogpilot73

What's sad ids they finally have the '46 about fixed and now they are retiring them (granted it should have been retired 20 years ago)

But when you consider GPS, electronic, HSI, countermeasure upgrades, seat upgrades, lightweight ceramic armor, bullfrog fuel tanks, NVG lighting upgrade, dynamic component upgrade, and gold striped engines - you actually have a workable assault helicopter platform - just as they are retiring them!

Bite your tongue with the whole "it should have been retired 20 years ago"!! She's still a sexy young lady, worthy of all the kudos she has received over the years...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It turns out I'm getting out at the right time, I don't want to have to be around and see the first Phrog go up on a stick in front of a base...

Well, that 46 on a stick is coming to New River next year, so you still might get your chance!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, that 46 on a stick is coming to New River next year, so you still might get your chance!

Dont worry they will fly in from the West coast to can enough parts that there wont be anything left by the time your float is over.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bite your tongue with the whole "it should have been retired 20 years ago"!! She's still a sexy young lady, worthy of all the kudos she has received over the years...

Young??!! Maybe a MILF, but not young anymore......:D