• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of a lateral transfer

mic

If I were to be picked up by say SWO. What are the chances of getting a lateral transfer to pilot/nfo in the first year that I am in?

Thanks

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think you have to wait for your SWO pin first before you can put in any paperwork. I know guys who went SWO and are trying for SEALs, but they have to get their pins.

mic

if that is the case how long before someone were to get the "swo pin" and after that is said and done what would be the chances

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Approximately 18 months...give or take. Most of that depends on you and your ship/CO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If you're uber motivated, I've heard guys knock it out in little under a year. But like ea6bflyr said, ship/CO are big factors. If you can get underway early on, you'll be able to get a lot of those quals done vice just being in port the whole time. Don't go in though with the attitude that you'll be going aviation in a year. Not only will you anger your peers, but your work will reflect your attitude and you need to be shit hot to transfer over. Also, you may not get it so then you'll be on the ship for the rest of your tour.

Renegade One

None
thanks for the information, i will prob just stay with swo

This is a decision that cannot be made now...don't try. Assuming you get selected for any program...do your best in all things...you'll either love it (probably) or will have created "options" for yourself to go another way.

BigRed389

None
In all honesty, minimal.

Getting your pin early, assuming you are pretty good, is also a matter of timing. Arrive right before deployment and you will probably knock it out quick. Get there right after a deployment, and 18 months is more likely. Even worse if your ship is broke.

And yes, some COs are more lenient, and some commands put less/more emphasis on qualifying JOs.

Once qual'd however, the SWO community has to be willing to let you go from your year group...every year group gets X number the community is willing to let go. It's been single digits for most year groups in the 1st/2nd year group...read into that as you will.

It's easier to transfer after your first four years are up, because that is when enough JOs should have signed up for the DH blood money.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTDT. Yes, you have to get your SWO pin before anyone will even talk to you for re-des.

As of 2000, you had 18 months from checking aboard to earning your pin. Otherwise, you were a DNQ and the captain had to send a letter to BuPers saying either there was a legit reason (ship in extended overhaul, etc) or there wasn't and you just suck too bad to be a Shoe.

Most guys got it in something between 14-18 mos. Most of what you need in the way of signoffs require you to actually do something or at least observe it - conn the ship to anchoring, conn during flight ops, conn for man-overboards, watch the helo bounce from the tower, etc. Plus you need to get qual'ed as Boat-O, CIC Watch Officer, Engineering Watch Officer (different from EOOW), OOD pierside and OOD underway.

So some of how fast you qual depends on the captain, some on the boat doing the things you need to get signed off. Once you get your pin, your odds of getting picked up for a lat xfer depend on the gaining community's needs.

I lucked out in that my timing was right to get my pin quick (13 mos) and that there happened to be a derth of NFOs.

NOTE: I did all this back in the day of SWOS, then ship. No idea how the timing works nowadays. YMMV.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I had a good buddy in flight school that was prior SWO. He had done 2 complete SWO tours before reporting to API. He made LT in the middle of primary.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
I had a good buddy in flight school that was prior SWO. He had done 2 complete SWO tours before reporting to API. He made LT in the middle of primary.

Just to clarify for the OP: Nozeman's friend must have been a SWO for something like 3.5 years before doing a lateral xfer to SNA. Just in case the OP was unfamiliar with the advancement from O-1 to O-3:D

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
He had just completed his second 18-month SWO gig, so he was just short of 3.5 years when he started.