• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chances question.

JFL12

I know everyone hates the "what are my chances question", but I cannot help but ask. So point is that in an effort to speed up my graduation I took a full load of classes this summer and ended up failing them because I was in over my head. So this has backed up my graduation date, and I do not see a way for me to afford the rest of my school. This lead me to thinking about trying to get into NROTC (Marine option if you need to know) and get a scholarship.

Problem is that I do not really think I have a good chance of getting accepted.

I graduated highschool with a 4.0 GPA and played baseball all 4 years of highschool, and scored a 28 on the ACT. Problem is that I did not take college very serious until now so my GPA is pretty low. About a 2.3 and I am majoring in electrical engineering. I have a decent PFT (16 pullups, max situps, and 21 minute run) I do not really have anything else as far as leadership positions, but being a Marine pilot is something that I really want and I feel that I can express that to someone well. Also I can get decent LOR's from a few former Air force and Marine pilots that I have worked for and a professor.

So basically the question is if there is a decent chance of me getting accepted. By the way I am a sophmore. Also if I get accepted are the chances of getting a flight slot pretty good upon graduation, that is assuming that I get my act together and get my GPA up and score well on the ASTB?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Are you a sophomore, or going to be a sophomore? I'm pretty sure you'd need to do two years of NROTC to commission. I spoke with a couple MIDN in Newport one summer, I guess if you apply directly for a two year scholarship you do so during your sophomore year, then that summer report to newport to get caught up on NAV classes, doing a cruise the following summer. I'm not 100% intimate with that program. However, if you're entering your junior year, I don't think there will be much in the way of NROTC.

JFL12

Are you a sophomore, or going to be a sophomore? I'm pretty sure you'd need to do two years of NROTC to commission. I spoke with a couple MIDN in Newport one summer, I guess if you apply directly for a two year scholarship you do so during your sophomore year, then that summer report to newport to get caught up on NAV classes, doing a cruise the following summer. I'm not 100% intimate with that program. However, if you're entering your junior year, I don't think there will be much in the way of NROTC.

I am in the middle of my sophomore year. Technically Ill be a junior in the spring semester, but only because of my credit hours. Ill be 3 years from my degree when the fall semester starts. Took some classes that didnt transfer slash werent applicable to my major.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I am in the middle of my sophomore year. Technically Ill be a junior in the spring semester, but only because of my credit hours. Ill be 3 years from my degree when the fall semester starts. Took some classes that didnt transfer slash werent applicable to my major.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that 90 credit hours was the upper ceiling for applicants to the NROTC program. Beyond this, and you are going to need to look at BDCP and/or OCS

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
You'll have to talk to your local NROTC (or the one you'd like to go to) about your issues. They can give you a more specific cut off. I would also contact an officer recruiter and look at OCS options as well.

gotta_fly

pilot
I had a friend who was a super-whatever (sophomore, junior, senior etc.) because he transferred in and lost some credits. He considered NROTC and the official cutoff for him was based on when he became a junior. The middle of the year can absolutely be a cutoff point, regardless of when the rest of your school changes over.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I had a friend who was a super-whatever (sophomore, junior, senior etc.) because he transferred in and lost some credits. He considered NROTC and the official cutoff for him was based on when he became a junior. The middle of the year can absolutely be a cutoff point, regardless of when the rest of your school changes over.

That was the same deal for me when I started NROTC back in '03

spidsta

I'm almost in the same boat as you.

I will have to agree with the above post; you will need to talk to the ROTC recruiter at your university because it might be different..but this is what I've learned.

I did the same as you (except Im a Mechanical engy study) and I took classes and went over my head. I failed a few classes which put me back for graduation. This gave me a chance to try for the NROTC, which I was accepted as a walk-on this year.

Basically it depends on how many semester's you have until graduation (not so much on sophomore/junior status)

I did everything I could (letters of recommendations, references, show of motivation) to be accepted...and unbelievably, I was.

the NROTC is a huge motivation, as I cannot afford to screw this up. So, talk to the recruiter, it wont hurt to try.

btw I had a LOW LOW gpa.. lower than yours. I've learned my lesson.