• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing from Ground to Air contract???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighead

I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is to change from a ground to an air contract? I went to Jrs last summer and I am ready to head back to Srs this summer and get it over with. If anyone has changed from ground to air contract let me how. Thanks

Reactions: E5B

Broadsword2004

Okay, I am the last person you would want to listen to on this, but from what I have read so far on these forums, the Marine don't like it if you have an air contract and drop it for a ground one, whether you're in PLC, flight school, whatever, if you have an air contract and drop it, they don't like it. I guess because you took away an air slot from another hopeful.

So I would assume ground to air might be the same, if you do that, they might not like that you technically (I am guessing) took away a ground slot from another PLC hopeful who applied for ground.

So I am guessing it would be hard; I don't know though, just my 2 cents.

perchul

They explained this to my class during a TBS breifing and how MOS selection goes. For OCC'ers I know that any air contracts that opened because a 2lt either switched to ground for some reason that contract could be picked up by a qualified 2lt at the time of MOS selection for TBS. I would take this to mean at best there will be 2 air slots at most for a ground pounder at TBS to switch into...so you'll want to do really well at TBS

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I didn't secure my air contract until my commissioning. I went to both Jrs and Srs as a ground contract, only because my flight physical got lost....twice. So I just waited an extra two months to commission in order to commission as an air contract. My OSO was pushing me to go ahead and commission as a ground guy and he would switch it to air while I was at TBS, or worst case scenario, I could fight for an air contract at TBS during MOS selections. Bad idea! Hold out for that air contract, it'll be worth it.

Do everything you can to get it switched if that's what you want and let it be known that you really want it changed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
To echo waht e5B said it is much easier to change prior to commisioning becasue once you swear to support and defend the constitution you are then a number being plugged into a slot.
It is not impossible to switch at TBS but it all depends on availability and since it sounds like it is very easy right now it might be very difficult in a few years. bottom line talk to your OSO and see what he says but make sure you make your desires known and exhaust every option prior to commissioning. Even if they say it wont work take the test so you can go dwon to TBS with a qualifying score and the physical if they will let you.

reapergm

The Lt.Col. of OCS had an air contract meeting one night. Told all the candidates that if anyone they knew wanted to switch from ground to air.. it would be as easy as passing the tests and physical. He said they are in real need and it wouldnt be a problem.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
For PLC'ers,

If you have not been commissioned yet (i.e. going back for PLC Seniors or are just waiting to graduate from college to be commissioned), and you want to switch programs (i.e. Ground to Air, Air to Ground, Ground to Law, Law to Ground, Air to Law, Law to Air) you have to write a letter to your OSO stating what you want to do, and why you want to do it. However, it's ultimately up to the Marine Corps on whether or not they will allow you to change programs.

Additionally, it depends on if you meet all the requirements for the other program you want to switch to (i.e. Air = ASTB score and pass air medical; Law = accepted to a Law School). I hope that answers your question.

reapergm

Anyone hear about this "Blue to Green" stuff? AF to ARMY with just a signature. Thats insane. That going on with NAVY and USMC?

usmcecho4

pilot
At TBS you there is an opportunity to switch contracts. We have had about 10 or so Lts drop their air contracts so some of those contracts will be available for MOS selection at the end of TBS. I recommend switching contracts before TBS if you can so you will not have to compete to get the available contracts. In addition you can get your flight physicals, ASTB, and all that crap out of the way before TBS.

S/F,
usmcecho4

Reactions: E5B

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Army Blue to Green Program

reapergm said:
Anyone hear about this "Blue to Green" stuff? AF to ARMY with just a signature. Thats insane. That going on with NAVY and USMC?

I've heard that the Army's Blue to Green program is for people in the AIR FORCE and the NAVY to switch services without loss of rank or anything else. Also, you don't have to go to their boot camp. This is to help in the Army's Enlisted Recruiting efforts. The Marine Corps is not doing that, and knowing the Marine Corps I doubt HIGHLY they would at very least allow someone into the Marine Corps without having gone to Marine Corps Boot Camp or OCS. However, in the early 80s you could do something similiar. I hope that helps.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I figured this would also be appropriate for this forum. If there are any of you who, for whatever crazy reason it is, want to DROP your air contract at TBS, take this word of caution: Starting with Alpha Co. (which just picked up) any Lts who choose to drop their air contracts will be placed in a ground slot, BUT will not be able to compete for an MOS during MOS selection. They can still submit a list, but it will not be entered in the quality spread. After ALL the available MOS's have been assigned, Headquarters Marine Corps will then assign you an MOS. Read: NEEDS OF THE CORPS. So, you could quite possibly be stuck with a much less glamorous MOS. Sure, recommendations from your SPC will be considered, but ultimately, the Marine Corps will decide where you go. My guess on that is because the Corps is so short on pilots. So, think long and hard before you decide to drop your air contract.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Good Advice!

PSno23 said:
I figured this would also be appropriate for this forum. If there are any of you who, for whatever crazy reason it is, want to DROP your air contract at TBS, take this word of caution: Starting with Alpha Co. (which just picked up) any Lts who choose to drop their air contracts will be placed in a ground slot, BUT will not be able to compete for an MOS during MOS selection. They can still submit a list, but it will not be entered in the quality spread. After ALL the available MOS's have been assigned, Headquarters Marine Corps will then assign you an MOS. Read: NEEDS OF THE CORPS. So, you could quite possibly be stuck with a much less glamorous MOS. Sure, recommendations from your SPC will be considered, but ultimately, the Marine Corps will decide where you go. My guess on that is because the Corps is so short on pilots. So, think long and hard before you decide to drop your air contract.
Exactly! Hey this is almost a once in lifetime shot. Not everyone can become a Naval Aviator let alone get selected for that type of training. With that new reg about Lts. dropping their Air Contract, I wouldn't want them to select my MOS.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
PSno23 said:

I concur with this quote. It's a new MARADMIN or message that just came out to address this. Pretty much you drop your Air Contract, they'll take your name and put it on the "Wheel of Fortune" and whatever you land on you get with no choice what so ever!

Pretty much the needs of the Marine Corps will dictate.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.