• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Changing Majors

sickboy

pilot
This is the situation; I'm currently a 2/C MIDN majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I have a 2.9 GPA at the moment, I absolutely love my classes and the subjects but no matter how hard I study I can't get above a 3.0. This semester has been pretty rough and it is hard to say how bad my GPA is going to be.

The point is that I'm horribly afraid that I won't be competitive enough for 1390 or 1370. I know that they look at the whole candidate, but I also know that GPA is a significant portion of the application. I feel as if I don't do something, I'm destined for the land of shoe. (Not that I have a problem with that, I'd still be an officer, just not an Aviator).

I could change majors, I have an alternative major all lined up (Secondary Education - Physics), but I would have to spend at least one extra semester at school. Or I could steer the course and further work my ass off, but risk not being competitive. My advisor told me that both are options, but he didn't give me any kind of recommendation either way.

I'm looking for opinions here, could anyone who was ever in this situation give me some gouge, or at least their thoughts?

I have a 7/7/8 ASTB.

war eagle

Just to give you an idea of how competitive you'd be... I'm graduating in May with a GPA of 2.74 in Aerospace Engineering, with an ASTB score of 6/7/6 and I selected 1370.

I'm not sure about 1390 - it wasn't one of my choices because I was NPQ'ed due to an eye issue at NOMI/NAMI. My opinion would be to stick it out... just remember HARD WORK PAYS OFF. Good luck.

NCstud

Your GPA is higher than mine along with your ASTB scores, I selected 1390 if that gives you any idea. I would say to stick with your major, and do your best. At this point in the game, you're not going to see a significant change in your overall gpa in one semester to warrant changing majors and requesting an extension of graduation. My grades senior year didn't even count towards my package, so this might be the last semester that "matters" anyways. Do your best, finish this year strong, then sit back and enjoy as many local brews as you can.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Your degree is going to be with you forever. If you want to get into education at one point, then that's something to consider, but if you don't, you'll always be bitter about having a teaching degree when you want to build bridges or play with legos or do whatever it is that engineers do.

It's a tricky game to play. I keep hearing from a couple credible places that aviation spots are on the rise, just look at the OCS expansion in the other threads, but nothing is a sure thing. However, everything I've heard at our unit is that it is NOT a good idea to "overstay your welcome", that's why you do graduation plans starting your 4/C year.

Best of luck.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Major in something you feel comfortable with. Please do not major in engineering because you feel it will give you a "bump" in aviation selection.

Government/Poli Sci major talking here.

IrishEagle85

*Ahem*

I'm a finance major, 2.74 GPA at the time of service selection. ASTB 6/6/7/56. And I still selected for 1390. Laugh all you want at my finance grades ;-)

There's a lot of things that go into it. Aptitude, grades, ASTB, PRT. If you like your engineering major, then STAY WITH IT. I repeat, STAY WITH YOUR MAJOR. Odds are you're only be in the Navy for 10-15 years as an Aviator, and you want to do something that you enjoy when you get out.

Keep in mind that technical majors also get a slight bonus in the service selection process. So maintain your 2.9, and rock your ASTB/PRT/Aptitude scores.

PCHomerun_4

If you like your engineering classes, stay with engineering. It's a great major and turns into a great career. I can't speak for the extra load with ROTC, but I know how tough it can be without it. Stick with it and Good Luck!

UMichfly

pilot
None
Major in something you feel comfortable with. Please do not major in engineering because you feel it will give you a "bump" in aviation selection.

Government/Poli Sci major talking here.

Might wanna work on your reading comprehension there ;). Looks to me like he's going the exact opposite direction and thinking about leaving engineering to get a GPA "bump" for aviation selection. I think your first sentence is great though. Engineering may be hard as hell at times but if it's what the OP feels comfortable with, the next 3 years of ass pain will be a lot more enjoyable than 3+ years of non-engineering.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mikwat,
You are a JUNIOR and you want to change your major just to get aviation? Are your smoking crack? Did you hit your head after partying too hard? DO NOT DO IT!!!:thumbdn_1 You will get more selection points out of a 2.5 ENGINEERING DEGREE than a 3.5 NON-TECH DEGREE. Stay the course and you will be rewarded. Have you mentioned this to your advisor?

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I concur.....dude, just suck it up and do your best. Your package goes in before next fall's grades come out (unless you are going to be a 5th yr like I was), so there isn't a whole lot you can do now anyways. It's still going to be the gpa you have, regardless of the major you want to switch to. You will probably be fine....I knew guys in the last few years that had much worse stats than you and picked 1390 (and a couple 1370).

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
It was my observation that the degree mattered less getting into flight school than the standard scores.

Once upon a time, we had a guy in my RAG class who had a masters in aero engineering who washed out at the boat. We also had a music major as an instructor and several history / poly sci types who did just fine. The intellect takes you only so far, then it's a combo of attitude, hand/eye skills, and a decent amount of luck.

The technical degree will help you get Test Pilot School if that's your thing.

Having a non-technical degree will almost certainly send you down the CAG path rather than Carrier CO path if you are lucky enough to get that far, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing!

But it isn't something you should worry about too much if you are still in school. Do the best at what you're doing and the cards for the most part will fall in place.

On a side note, whatever happened to carpe diem? Although I'm a newbie to the forum, over the years I really don't recall getting too worried about all the different factors that can or cannot affect your future. There are some constants worth keeping in mind:

1. Don't try and "game" the system. The week you have to make a big decision and you think going to Corpus (or Vance, or wherever) will increase your chances of making it to the next level is the week they decide to send no one and you will be bitter. Just do your best wherever you land, keeping in mind that water seeks its own level and cream rises to the crop (whatever that means).

2. The guys who did great in NROTC or USNA are not necessarily the same ones who will do well in flight school, or most importantly, in the fleet.

3. If you've got private pilot time, don't let anyone know it. They will either go out of their way to unlearn your "bad" habits, or they will expect way more from you and thus grade you with more scrutiny. Why not let them think you're just a quick study?

4. Like it or not, your flying skills really won't be where the majority of your reputation and Fitness Report grades come from. There is an expectation that the majority of us can fly / do that NFO stuff, so it is difficult to stand out in a positive way, although very easy to stand out in a negative way if your skills aren't at least average. Put another way, the Top Hook in the Air Wing does not necessarily become the Top Officer in the squadron, unless he / she is the top officer in the other things like their ground job.

5. The little things do matter. Not just in the airplane, but in the squadron as well. Not just inside the hangar, but socially too. When invited to the CO's house for an evening holiday social, best to arrive wearing holiday social attire (usually sport coat or at least a nice sweater). Don't show up in ratty jeans and a luau shirt just because jackets aren't your gig. You're just poking the old man in the eye and he will remember that you lack basic headwork. There are plenty of other times to wear the cool threads - you just gotta know the time and place. Bringing a small gift (not booze) for Mrs. Charlie Oscar is a nice touch and if you're considerate enough to send her a thank you note, she'll want to introduce you to her hot young niece who will be visiting for the summer after she graduated from college.

6. Remember, life is a journey, not a destination. While it's good and healthy to set long-term goals, sometimes you end up missing out on all the cool stuff enroute to the destination.

7. Have fun and be able to take a joke as well as give one out. No one likes to hang out on the boat for six months with a downer.

Sorry, my therapist said it would be good for me to express myself...