• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

check out this video

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:

I'd like a copy of the PM too...

On another note, what happened in that video, or rather, how did that happen? Was there so much lift on that bomb that it went up instead of down?

T-man

DanMav1156 said:
I'd like a copy of the PM too...

On another note, what happened in that video, or rather, how did that happen? Was there so much lift on that bomb that it went up instead of down?

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that that video was taken during initial test flights during development of the -18. The test was for the ordinace release mechanism or something like that. Naturally, the results of this test forced a re-design of the mounting/placement of ordinance on the -18 :) The plane that struck was one of the chase/observer planes for the test, and the crew safely ejected, no one was killed.

Again, this is just something I recall reading somewhere (maybe even on this board) - a few of the facts may be a little off, but I'm pretty sure the general story is what happened :)

B

Blutonski816

DanMav1156 said:

There is more footage of this from the Hornet's POV. The TA-4 was actually behind and below, not above. The Scooter's pretty small compared to a Hornet, so the size gives the illusion that it was above the Hornet

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Just before the hit, it looks like the plane banked a little to the left. I wonder if one of the people up there saw it and intentionally moved/told the pilot to try to move or if it was just a movement that coincindently happened just before.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
There is more footage of this from the Hornet's POV. The TA-4 was actually behind and below, not above. The Scooter's pretty small compared to a Hornet, so the size gives the illusion that it was above the Hornet

I can see how that's an illusion, that the Hornet is actually above the chase plane, but I swear it looks like the bomb is going upwards!