• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

chicago airshow

corona

Anyone in the area watch the show? Well anyway, a hunk of one of the tunderbird's plane flew off into lake michigan and the show got cancelled. And the air force claims they keep better care of their jets *rolls eyes*. Just last year a thunderbird had to eject in a show. Thunderbirds are crap, too bad it wasnt the blues year to be in town.

phrogpilot73

corona said:
Anyone in the area watch the show? Well anyway, a hunk of one of the tunderbird's plane flew off into lake michigan and the show got cancelled. And the air force claims they keep better care of their jets *rolls eyes*. Just last year a thunderbird had to eject in a show. Thunderbirds are crap, too bad it wasnt the blues year to be in town.
Having to do a TFOA flash report at an airshow?!? Man, those boys in blue don't know what airshow life is all about...

navyao

Rumor I'm hearing is that they bumped? If it's a TFOA thing, I'd hate to be a Crew Chief, someone's gonna to burn for that one.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
they bumped while in a diamond formation I'm pretty sure, I was so pissed they cancelled sunday b/c that's the day I went.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... they bumped while in diamond formation... A 4ft. chunk of the wing missile rail fell off one of the aircraft.

There's more info on a thread called something like "USAF Sets Record For Closest Formation Flight" or something... thread even comes with pic.

Speaking of this, does anyone know when the huge T-bird crash was? I remember hearing that the lost an aircraft several (read quite a while ago) years ago.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
TheBubba said:
Yeah... they bumped while in diamond formation... A 4ft. chunk of the wing missile rail fell off one of the aircraft.

There's more info on a thread called something like "USAF Sets Record For Closest Formation Flight" or something... thread even comes with pic.

Speaking of this, does anyone know when the huge T-bird crash was? I remember hearing that the lost an aircraft several (read quite a while ago) years ago.

By "huge crash" I'll guess that you're talking about the Diamond Crash in which 4 pilots were killed during training, which was on January 18, 1982.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah.. I'm pretty sure that's the one I was thinking of... if my info is right, they didnt fly for a couple years after that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was also the mishap at Mountain Home a couple years ago that yielded all that great footage. Word to the wise - check field elevation before show. :D

Brett

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
I've been reading posts on this site for a while, but this is the first time I've posted. I was on the ramp at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho the last time the Thunderbirds had a mishap. September 14th, 2003 Thunderbird #6 had to eject when he ran out of altitude in a high performance pull-over right after take-off. I was there with my children and was very happy to see the chute. It was a bummer that the show was canceled though.

There are some great shots at http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_06a/briefs/186633-1.html

I guess I should have refreshed before posting, Brett got in before me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We watched the cockpit footage over and over in my readyroom when it came out (there was a great split screen edit that had both tge cockpit and external views synched up). You can pretty much tell by the pilot's motion and body language the exact instant he realizes the he's fvcked. It's a good 5 seconds before he pulls the handle.

Brett

toddb

mkoch said:
By "huge crash" I'll guess that you're talking about the Diamond Crash in which 4 pilots were killed during training, which was on January 18, 1982.

From what i remember it was a "Line A-breast" formation of four T-38's over Nellis AFB that went straight-in

ladybug

Jolly Roger's fiance
Well you guys can just keep your jets and play with them all you want. Give me a radial engine first thing in the morning and I am good to go.