• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Children

spotter

Does anybody know if having children is something they look down upon when looking at your package? I have 3 children.:D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, this is not a factor in your selection.

Now, for YOU personally, the 3 kids will either be an asset or a hinderance while you go through your training. Make sure the kids and spouse know what is going on, so they can be supportive of you during a demanding period of your life while under instruction.

Did you already submit the package? I take it that you are awaiting results?

Best of luck.

spotter

Haven't submitted yet

I take ASTB JAN28. I was just wondering about the children thing. The wife and kids are on board. Thank God. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site about Fl and bringing the family along. However, this seems like it isn't an option if you are to delve into your studies 110%.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
this seems like it isn't an option if you are to delve into your studies 110%.
You are going to hear a bunch of different answer to that, and you are going to have to sit down with the family and figure out what is best fo you. From my standpoint, I couldn't have been seperated from my family for that long a period of time. In fact, the kids and spouse were the stress relievers that helped me through training. The biggest item that most SNAs/SNFOs are not prepared for is setting up their time management while in flight school. Set up a study schedule, and stick to it. That in and of itself saved a lot of grief with the family. They KNEW that Friday night and saturday were thiers. So, there wasn't any grief that I was studying in groups, with partners, or solo during the week or on sundays as I prepared for flights or academics.

But, that phase of training has HUGE windows of opportunity to spend QUALITY time with the family or to work on your hobbies (golf anyone?). Or for the single ppl, to go out and have some fun!

I definitely recommend bringing the family down, involving them in your training and making them a part of your successes. My kids still remember coming out to watch me solo and do touch and goes at Saufley.

John

MasterBates

I suspect Brett will be along shortly. How old are the kids?

One squadronmate had 3 kids while in training (1 prior to commission, 2 later) and he did well, but had a lot of support from the in-laws and the wife and kids went to live with them while we were on deployment.

Another had 2, but they were older, and were used to dad being in the military.

Another guy had 2, one born while in Jet Advanced and attrited. Ended up in helos.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Concur with MB, alot depends on the family, and of course that Brett will be along shortly.

You see all sorts of arrangements during training, geo bachelors, SNAs/SNFOs with thier significant others flying in every weekend, whatever works, I guess.... Big flick for me, this training is your one shot, don't get attrited because you were distracted. That distraction could be worrying about family/significant other that isn't there with you, or they could be there and constantly complaining about your studying and not giving them attention, etc...

I have seen it first hand, and I am sure many of the IPs on here currently instructing can see some of those stressors also. Just don't put yourself and your family in a position where its them vs. training. That training should be priority #1 for you.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
flight school isn't that bad. lots of stress, but I had/have more freetime than is probably good.

spotter

Thanks

Thanks for all the info and encouragement. We will have to see what the time-line entails and see what the family agrees on.