• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choice of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusjones

General Disarray
I have two questions: 1. Is there a fighter pilot detatchment in San Diego? 2. How do I get assigned to it once I've graduated from flight school (provided I get selected for fighters)? Anyone know?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the only west coast fighter squadrons are in Lemoore, CA. As far as getting selected for a particular location, I think you indicate your preferences at some point in your training pipeline and they try to put you somewhere you want to go. I could be totally off though. Are you somehow involved in the Navy?

R

RickyDT34

NavAir has their depot level rework facility for F/A-18's at NAS North Island in beautiful San Diego. There are a dozen or so pilots and fo's attached to NavAir but they have been to tps and have been in the Navy for awhile.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
worry about stuff in this order OCS -> (IFS?) -> API -> Primary -> Selection -> Advanced

when you're done with advanced, then start worrying about duty stations. but if that's too much, the sure fire way is to be #1 in your class at both primary and advanced.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're Navy and want fighters, you won't be flying out of San Diego, at least initially. You could be a student at the Marine FRS or an instructor but that's way down the road. There's also NADEP but that's not exactly a good career choice. If you're flying out of San Diego, you will most likely be flying helo's or trash haulers (best job in the Navy) :icon_smil

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, North Island, wonderful memories there on TAD in support of exercises... bankers hours, per diem, great flying, and cold beer... not necessarily in that order.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, bankers hours for you VP guys. Or maybe they were easy on you beause you were TAD. While you had bankers hours us S-3 guys were briefing at 2200 and flying all night in the same exercise with no per diem. North Island was great unless you had a 0100 launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.