• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing a Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangaroo15

I would like to preface this by saying I am no super-star candidate (6,7,6 ASTB, 3.3 GPA, 280 PFT), so this post may become arbitrary if I am even even accepted into OCS at all. I have been completing my OSC package with the hopes of earning a Marine Corps Aviation contract, but recently have been having second thoughts about the USMC. I think that it is a great organization and am drawn to its professionalism, as well as the pilot contract. Another huge advantage to the Marine Corps is, they are able to send me to NAMI prior to commissioning. I am on the taller side of 6'5 and am really worried about my anthropomorphic measurements in the T-6. That said, as I continue with the process and get ready for OCS and eventually TBS, I feel that they may not be the right fit for me. I fully believe I could make it through OCS, but am primarily motivated by the promise of flight school. I think that I may lack the intensity or "Marine Mentality" that I know is essential to being a leader in the USMC and am more interested in being a pilot.

I am naturally drawn to the Coast Guard mainly because of their mission (SAR/ Prevention) as well as my dad being a USCG C-130 pilot out of Barbers Point, and a USCGA graduate. I think this would be ideal too because I may only fit in 130's or Helo's and I've heard the Coast Guard will do cockpit fit checks instead of just disqualifying at NAMI. Not to mention the new, straight to Helo program that the Navy and USCG is now doing. The downside to the Coast Guard though is there is no guaranteed flight school and even commissioning is insanely competitive right now (I've heard as low as 17% off the street). I think it would be likely that if I were able to commission, I would spend time on a cutter before getting picked up for flight school (not a deal breaker).

That then leads to most peoples obvious answer, the Navy. I think the Navy could be a great middle ground with guaranteed flight school, lots of platforms without ejection seats, and probably the most available flight school slots. I just worry about NAMI and being stuck on a ship for months or years.

Where I stand currently is, I have to consider the possibility of not being an aviator, due to my height, washing out of flight school, etc. If I were to serve in any of the three not as a pilot, I believe my best fit would be the Coast Guard. So I guess my questions are:

- Has anyone heard of getting their NAMI measurements prior to commissioning?
- Would it be suicide to burn bridges with the Marines and pursue a highly competitive USCG Commission?
- Does the Navy/ Marines offer height waivers?
- Any insight on choosing a branch. I've been fortunate to be able to talk with officers in all three and honestly haven't had a bad experience yet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I would like to preface this by saying I am no super-star candidate (6,7,6 ASTB, 3.3 GPA, 280 PFT), so this post may become arbitrary if I am even even accepted into OCS at all. I have been completing my OSC package with the hopes of earning a Marine Corps Aviation contract, but recently have been having second thoughts about the USMC. I think that it is a great organization and am drawn to its professionalism, as well as the pilot contract. Another huge advantage to the Marine Corps is, they are able to send me to NAMI prior to commissioning. I am on the taller side of 6'5 and am really worried about my anthropomorphic measurements in the T-6. That said, as I continue with the process and get ready for OCS and eventually TBS, I feel that they may not be the right fit for me. I fully believe I could make it through OCS, but am primarily motivated by the promise of flight school. I think that I may lack the intensity or "Marine Mentality" that I know is essential to being a leader in the USMC and am more interested in being a pilot.

I am naturally drawn to the Coast Guard mainly because of their mission (SAR/ Prevention) as well as my dad being a USCG C-130 pilot out of Barbers Point, and a USCGA graduate. I think this would be ideal too because I may only fit in 130's or Helo's and I've heard the Coast Guard will do cockpit fit checks instead of just disqualifying at NAMI. Not to mention the new, straight to Helo program that the Navy and USCG is now doing. The downside to the Coast Guard though is there is no guaranteed flight school and even commissioning is insanely competitive right now (I've heard as low as 17% off the street). I think it would be likely that if I were able to commission, I would spend time on a cutter before getting picked up for flight school (not a deal breaker).

That then leads to most peoples obvious answer, the Navy. I think the Navy could be a great middle ground with guaranteed flight school, lots of platforms without ejection seats, and probably the most available flight school slots. I just worry about NAMI and being stuck on a ship for months or years.

Where I stand currently is, I have to consider the possibility of not being an aviator, due to my height, washing out of flight school, etc. If I were to serve in any of the three not as a pilot, I believe my best fit would be the Coast Guard. So I guess my questions are:

- Has anyone heard of getting their NAMI measurements prior to commissioning?
- Would it be suicide to burn bridges with the Marines and pursue a highly competitive USCG Commission?
- Does the Navy/ Marines offer height waivers?
- Any insight on choosing a branch. I've been fortunate to be able to talk with officers in all three and honestly haven't had a bad experience yet.

Welcome to the forum. Before the mods come in and chime-in, the "Hey guys I'm new here" posts are definitely frowned upon and usually locked/deleted.

Suggest you take the time to research your answers, you're likely not the first person to ever consider this.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^what he said. Welcome, and please search around a bit, this type of question has definitely been asked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.