• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chopper rotor blades start "departing the aircraft."

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]Sikorsky battling major quality control problems[/FONT]

This internal Sikorsky document from earlier this month describes a harrowing incident on board a U.S. Navy Seahawk flying cross country.

The document says that the aircraft "experienced an unusual vibration" and "upon landing" they found a piece of the tail rotor had fallen off. A Navy Flight Safety Board determined the tail rotor blade had a "manufacturing defect."

How serious was this incident? We asked Sikorsky.

"If it failed would there be a big problem?" asks Alan Cohn.

"A total failure of any flight critical part would be an issue, absolutely," says Klug.

In fact, a top aerospace expert tells us that the crew was "very lucky to get back."

When the Navy inspected other Sikorsky built Seahawks it discovered 41-other suspect blades.

"The obvious question is how did 41 tail rotor blades with some kind of defect make it onto aircraft that are flying?" asks Cohn.

"In this particular case we're not happy they got out there," says George Klug. "This is an on going investigation right now."

hscs

pilot
Bell hasn't had exactly a stellar record either. Heard numerous stories of Marines going to pick up aircraft from Bell -- only to use their return ticket to get home rather than fly the plan. Oh, and Bell nearly lost the UH1Y/AH1Z contract because of quality.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My former squadron had a trim tab of a rotor delaminate in flight took most of the trailing edge of the blade off. Made the helo almost uncontrollable, but they managed to penetrate some IFR and set it down on the 9th hole of a golf course. It was a quality defect either in the manufacture, or depot re-work.

I think most people would be surprised by the amount of manufacturing quality control issues that make it onto fleet aircraft. Unfortunately they are not known until the failure occurs. The latest materials control mishap in our 53 community was the ditching of helo off VA because a gear in the transmission came apart.....a manufacturing quality defect.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Bell hasn't had exactly a stellar record either. Heard numerous stories of Marines going to pick up aircraft from Bell -- only to use their return ticket to get home rather than fly the plan. Oh, and Bell nearly lost the UH1Y/AH1Z contract because of quality.

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat after me: "It was a joke."

Welcome to the endless ribbing between helo communities. Intended to be no more than that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Inhale. Exhale. Repeat after me: "It was a joke."

Welcome to the endless ribbing between helo communities. Intended to be no more than that.

This ought to be interesting, kind of like fat kids fighting over the last cupcake......:D

hscs

pilot
None taken -- However, I did see a nasty picture of a -58 a little while ago that had at least 200 bullet holes in it -- managed to fly back. Amazed me.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The picture of the T/R driveshaft with the hole in it is amazing. So I guess they really are balistically tolerant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The picture of the T/R driveshaft with the hole in it is amazing. So I guess they really are balistically tolerant.

I was marveling at that one myself. I'm amazed that thing didn't shake itself apart.

Brett

fudog50

However all kidding aside-

I haven't seen any messages on this one, (I am not O level H-60's either, doesn't mean it ain't on the streets, might not have been in the plaid) and I read message traffic daily.

The " internal Sikorsky document from earlier this month", could be addressing an issue that was on the streets earlier this year. Of course a "redline" was issued by TYCOMM and all suspect components were inspected, removed and repaired if needed and returned to service.

Big Iron was absolutely right on. If only the average person knew the extent of "mistakes" from the manufacturing and depot facilities.

From a maintenance standpoint this is bad- However, Navy (all military aviation) is the best at safety, and getting a problem addressed and fixed. (We don't have FAA beauracracy to deal with)

In maintenance, we always ask ourselves, "whats the next redline"? Props on P-3's (PRB-92, NADEP Cherry Point failed to properly NDI over 100 props) and the 4.5 bearing fiasco with the Prowler J-52 (ongoing, NADEP JAX seems to have a grip on it,,, then another one fails....), have been the biggest issues I have dealt with and they are huge.

The "big question" in the original post can never be answered in this forum. Speculation, and postulations aside, rest assured Military Aviation (Navy) has processes in place to fix issues pronto once identified.