• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chumming

Sabre170

None
Can someone post the website and basics of Chumming? I P-grad this Friday and would like to get a head start on Chumming before Intermediate starts.

Thanks

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Well, if they don't let you use falconview, you are going to have to do it manually. Basically, you go to an Echum website. (Ask around for what the site is. I have forgotten.) You list the route that you want and it will print out a list of towers that you will need to add with a lat/long. Then you grab your chart, a nice pencil (to start) and black marker (to finish) and label the tower with msl and agl heights. Now, if you're smart, you'll find a computer that has falconview, put in your route and it will display a map of your route with the new towers. Although you won't be able to print this up if they make you do charts manually, it will definitely make the process go quicker. Trust me, it was the bane of my existence when I was in pcola. It also doesn't hurt to work with buddies and compare charts. That way, if you make a mistake, EVERYONE makes the mistake and all will be well. Good luck.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
http://164.214.2.62/products/webchum/InitQueryFrame.cfm
Go to Flight corridor and enter the lat-long of your turnpoints and target. Use a 10 NM radius. Restrict search results to TPC.

Go to book issue and ask for the intermediate books. You need them to get the courses anyway. I'd recommend doing your course first, then chum. Also, ask guys in T-1s for their T-6 charts. When you hit T-1s, ask guys in 86 or guys waiting to go to VAW-120 for their charts.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
and here I thought this was going to be a thread about getting sharks to come up and say hello

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Updating charts with new towers and other obstructions that have been built since the chart was printed.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CHUM = Chart Update Manual

Problem is, they don't actually publish it anymore as far as I know (at least that's what our ONAV instructor told us). It's all electronic on Falcon View. I could be mistaken.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chum = new callsign for one of the RIOs involved in the VF-31 F-14D mid-air around Jan 95. Two F-14D collide going straight up trying to get a photo op.

All 4 got out okay at about 28k feet. Long ride down waiting for the main to open.

The RIO is told by a resuce swimmer to get in the water and refuses as there are sharks all around. The swimmer knifes the raft. Rescue completed okay.

New callsign = Chum...or something close to that (embellishment authorized)

also the Chart Update Manual...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Chum = new callsign for one of the RIOs involved in the VF-31 F-14D mid-air around Jan 95. Two F-14D collide going straight up trying to get a photo op.

All 4 got out okay at about 28k feet. Long ride down waiting for the main to open.

The RIO is told by a resuce swimmer to get in the water and refuses as there are sharks all around. The swimmer knifes the raft. Rescue completed okay.

New callsign = Chum...or something close to that (embellishment authorized)

AWESOME! So he wouldn't get in the shark infested water, while the rescue swimmer himself is in it? I mean, I have a fear of sharks (oddly enough they're one of my favorite animals to study), but that's just funny.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
AWESOME! So he wouldn't get in the shark infested water, while the rescue swimmer himself is in it? I mean, I have a fear of sharks (oddly enough they're one of my favorite animals to study), but that's just funny.
Sharks - agents of Satan, along with thosed damned crows!

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a Hornet guy named Chum. It's because he got hit by the prop on a boat while waterskiing during API. That really set him back on the time to train. :)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I know a Hornet guy named Chum. It's because he got hit by the prop on a boat while waterskiing during API. That really set him back on the time to train. :)
That is both hilarious and sickening.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Schnugg said:

They told us in survival training that it wouldn't happen, but is it common for something like the signals from the ELT or the loud noise of a crash to actually attract sharks to the scene of someone who has just ditched over water?