• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civil Air Patrol and Coast Guard Auxiliary

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnj

Does anyone know what the requirements are to fly with either of these groups? Also, what types of aircraft do they fly? Thank you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAP is a civilian auxiliary. Therefore, you must be a rated civilian pilot. They won't take you and teach you how to fly from scratch for free. If you have a pilot lic. then check them out. They have a pretty informative web sight. If you are over 18 and want to fly missions, then do not call anyone about the cadet or youth program. That is something different.

As to the CG Aux., I didn't know they had an air component.

mikeg3

I'm in the USCG Auxiliary and in my experience you can fly anything. You may already know this but the Auxiliary is the uniformed civilian component of the USCG. That means you fly your own plane, not the Coast Guard's. If you have a personal airplane and you join the Auxiliary your biggest obsticles are going to be getting your plane approved by the CG and then actually convincing the CG to cut you orders to do anything for them.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, seems I have learned something. I'd be interested in CG Aux aviation as I own my own plane and currently volunteer in the avition division of my local sheriffs office. If you get the time mikeg, please PM me with what you know about getting started.

dcnj

Yes, I do have my PPL (SEL). Do you know what kinds of planes the CAP flies? I cannot find it on their website. As for Coast Guard Aux, is it possible to join it and fly with someone who has a plane? I unfortunately don't own my own plane. Thanks for all responses.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of the CAP aircraft are C-182s and C-206s. The CAP just signed a contract for new C-206ss and an Australian aircraft whose name and designator I don't recall. It is sort of like a small Caravan with a recip motor. Something like 6 pax and tons of useful load.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
wink said:
Most of the CAP aircraft are C-182s and C-206s. The CAP just signed a contract for new C-206ss and an Australian aircraft whose name and designator I don't recall. It is sort of like a small Caravan with a recip motor. Something like 6 pax and tons of useful load.

I think they got the PAC-750XL. It is a New Zealand aircraft.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
I think they got the PAC-750XL. It is a New Zealand aircraft.

Nope, not the one. I remember reading about it. Definitely from down under. Started with a "G" I believe. Now you have me going, I will find it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got it. The CAP has contracted for 95 Cessna 182s and 172s. They have also bought 15 Australian made Gippsland GA-8s that will have special imaging packages. It is all in the link below. Pretty dry stuff mostly about the CAP budget. There is a nice web site for the Gippsland GA-8. Like a mini Carravan. If I could afford one I'd turn it into a flying SUV complete with racks.

http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=5682&newsID=62&year=2004&month=2

I feel better now!

nugget81

pilot
The North Dakota Wing of CAP is receiving a new C182 with the Garmin 1000 package in May sometime. For pilots, the really great thing about CAP is the low rate on aircraft usage:
C172 - $22/hr dry
C182 - $24/hr dry
The rates vary depending on the wing, but its definitely worth while up here. There's alot more to CAP than just flying, so PM me if you have any questions.

Taildragger

API-bound!
I was in the Civil Air Patrol as a kid in the cadet program, and while I learned a lot about military bearing and the military in general, I had a sour experience when I was involved. The CAP does have some cool stuff to offer as far as flying goes -- if you have your PPL and you can get checked out in one of their aircraft, it is a great opportunity to fly for cheap. However, I think that a lot of people in the Civil Air Patrol overlook the "Auxiliary" in their title. A lot of the cadets took it a bit too seriously and considered themselves to be a member of a real military organization, and thus they treated their "subordinates" with a lot of disrespect. In my opinion, for cadets there is no difference between the CAP and the Boy Scouts...
The senior members in my unit also took their positions a little too seriously. I have heard horor stories of 20-year old "2nd Lieutenants" who are "rated pilots" walking around airshows complete with flight suit -- and the "fighter tuck" in their c~nt caps, sectional charts stuffed in the leg pockets of the flight suit, and a large compliment of pens in their shoulder pockets -- and have walked up to real Air Force and Navy pilots to try to "fit in." I have also heard of higher-ranking senior members actually trying to make real military personell salute them, which is friggin ridiculous. You have got to draw the line somewhere...
That being said, the CAP does provide a SAR mission that is pretty useful -- you can knock the CAP all you want until you have to deadstick an aircraft in the woods somewhere and they come and pluck you out. And if you are willing to put up with some of the BS that comes with the "Auxiliary," it would be a great opportunity to build some flight time.
If any of yall have some funny CAP stories from airshows/etc. you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them...

Status
Not open for further replies.