• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Passenger joins the Martin-Baker fanclub

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Apparently this happened in South Africa...luckily the passenger wasn't hurt...:eek:

First I've heard of something like this, I wonder has this ever happened before?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ly-activates-ejector-seat---and-survives.html

Yes, except it was a "Shoe" Captain in the backseat...

www.vfp62.com/F14_RIO.html
F14.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDN on "summer cruise" ejected from an NSAWC F-5 (along with the pilot) after a mid-air last summer.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDN on "summer cruise" ejected from an NSAWC F-5 (along with the pilot) after a mid-air last summer.

Brett

It was a Reserve VFC-13 F-5F just to keep record straight. Midshipman was in the bar that night.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
The MIDN in question was actually asking when he was going to get to fly again. Don't think he grasped the severity of the situation. That... and apparently was flying solo in the back for a while before realizing he needed to pull the "go bye bye" handle.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back iin the day...

First I've heard of something like this, I wonder has this ever happened before?

Circa 1963, an A-4 RAG IP squadronmate of mine was returning to NAS Lemoore on a post-maint test flight. On the downwind for 32R, he realized he had forgotten to drop the ram air turbine emergency generator (RAT) as required. Just after turning abeam, he reached for the emerg. gen. "T"-handle & pulled. The canopy jettisoned & the next thing he knew he was floating down in his chute & landed uninjured.:confused:
Turns out he inadvertently pulled the canopy jettison "T"-handle located starboard of the inst. panel adjacent to the RAT handle & similarly shaped and alternatly yellow/black striped. As the canopy left, part of the jettison bungee barrel swiveled & clipped the ejection sear firing mechanism and KABOOM!:eek:
Had it happened anywhere other than Lemoore (surrounded completely by agricultural fields) it could have been a real disaster. The well trimmed Skyhawk continued upwind for a few miles and crashed in an uninhabited farmer's field.
*As it worked in those days, the Farmer claimed extensive damage to his "experimental research" crop and got a generous settlement from Uncle Sam!
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The MIDN in question was actually asking when he was going to get to fly again. Don't think he grasped the severity of the situation. That... and apparently was flying solo in the back for a while before realizing he needed to pull the "go bye bye" handle.

There's no command initiated sequence in the F-5s? Both guys have to pull to go?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Sometimes Darwinian natural selection doesn't work as it should

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a Reserve VFC-13 F-5F just to keep record straight. Midshipman was in the bar that night.

Was airborne when it happened & saw the fireball. Fellow CAG-8 dude in the other jet didn't make it, unfortunately.

Brett

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor