• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Civilian Pilot interested in crossing over to Naval Aviation Seeks Advice

csandor

Fly'n Shoe
Any one out there knowledgeable about my situation...

USNR LT SELRES

Training to be a Commercial Pilot, already Instrument rated with ~120 hrs working on commercial me rating

Interested in Naval Aviation

What chances do I have of being selected?

Who do I talk to? Submit to?

Is there a shortened training pipeline?

Thanks

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

USNR LT SELRES

Training to be a Commercial Pilot, already Instrument rated with ~120 hrs working on commercial me rating

Thanks

I have a civilian CSEL/IR ticket, and I got selected :D

What commissioning program are you looking at? If you want to do OCS or BDCP, talk to your local OSO. If you want to do NROTC then talk to an advisor at the particular unit you seek to attend. You won't have to go through IFS before starting API. Doubt you would get much more than that...

As for your chances, I would say that if you were commissioning in the next year and selecting now, you would most likely have a pretty good chance depending on how solid your package was. But you never know unless you apply....hope that helps

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

That doesn't matter. You unlearn it all again...and your ME rating will not help in the helo world.

That does matter...what don't you enjoy about being a LT now? Somethings don't change on the aviation side of things, but it's easier to tolerate because we are so damn good at what we do (fly and party)

0.0 if you don't apply.

Who do I talk to?

Officer recruiter/detailer will have info about Xfer/redes boards

Submit to?

What you do on your own time behind closed doors is all you...

Generally, no. Remember that we're not just training you to be a monkey..we're training you not to think like one too. However, there are provisions in the program that state that you can progress quicker than unexperienced individuals if you have a proven documentation of successful similar flights. This will be on a case-by-case and flight-by-flight progression.

Glad to help.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None

USNR LT SELRES

Thanks
The ME rating might help a little bit but the instruments is where you will make your money....Make sure you are good at flying instruments and can pick apart an approach plate fast and accurately...know the AVEFAME procedures cold and what to actually do. Primary is where you would accelerate and it is not by much and furthermore I would not recommend it in your case.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Again, I'll be the guy that says why accelerate...I enjoy flying and every bit I can get makes me that much more comfortable.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
But Fly USMC is really, really good.
But a little bird told me that he had a lot of hours--AND experience--prior to Primary, and if he says don't XLR8 (text message throwback), it is probably good advice.

csandor

Fly'n Shoe
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to keep flying and apply to the next board for SNA. IF I don't apply then I'll never know.

tlevine

I did O'HARP duty at NRD San Diego for awhile before my detailer sent me to Pensacola to start flight training. I remember a few cases of people in the SELRES and IRR seeking to come back into active or active reserves to fly. The main obstacle usually for our applicants seeking to go back in were the medicals. It sounds like the rest of your ducks are in a row. I think previous flight experience will make you a more attractive candidate but not necessarily advance you faster through the actual flight school. I also believe the amount of "good years" and age plays a factor in your package as well. We denied several packages, although they were not flight, because of too high a rank with too little good years.

I see your location listed is San Diego. I would contact NRD San Diego if you have not been in touch with an officer recruiter yet and they can get you started in the right direction.