• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Classes for TPS?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
...Before I start, I know the ridiculousness of asking that now when I don't even have a PQ and PRO-Y yet...

IF (I realize this is a big if), I get my PQ, get my PRO-Y and FINSEL, make it through OCS, make it through IFS, etc. etc. etc. all the way through finishing my first fleet tour, TPS would be something that I would definitely be interested in.

In the next couple of weeks I have to pick classes for second semester of my senior year. I'm an economics major, so I don't have a heavy STEM background. I know from reading around here that you can take classes to make yourself more competitive for TPS without an engineering background. Unfortunately I have a bit of a black spot on my transcript because I got a B- in Calc II my first semester of college (it was an attitude problem and not an aptitude problem).

I realize that grade would not look great applying to TPS. For my major, I have the option of taking Multivariable calculus to fulfill an elective requirement. I was wondering if you think it would significantly help my very potential, very future application, or it wouldn't make much of a difference?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a bunch of dudes who got TPS pick ups who weren't exactly super engineering gods in college. Timing and your competition has a lot to do with it.

That pretty much goes for anything in the Navy now I think about it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was a guy in my airwing who, in his TPS app, had a transcript from a very well respected engineering school (*cough*rhymeswithsimIT*cough*) that had exactly one A- and nothing worse than that. His internships and industry experience throughout college might as well have been titled "I designed and built a space shuttle orbiter from scratch". VFA 1310 type. #1 EP. From personal interactions, smart and capable as shit as well. Did not get selected. Either their criteria is 1) completely unobtainable by humans that don't wear space suits at work and who have also already graduated from TPS (probably not the case), or it is 2) very timing driven, and 3) often the result of many applications from the same individual throughout the period that they are eligible.

Pags

N/A
pilot
TPS board results are aligned to the needs of the test squadrons. If the VXs don't need a hornet driver that board then they're not going to pick him.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Sometimes if the test squadrons do need Hornet drivers (or WSOs), the board still won't pick enough to fill open billets. Squadrons get a say, but they are only one cog in the machine of how the precept gets drafted. The school has a limited operating budget, and part of its upkeep requires cash flow from foreign partners (about $1M per seat, I'm told.) As long as we live in an era of sequestration and continuing resolutions, class sizes will continue to be smaller than in the past.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
I was lucky enough to attend TPS following my JO VFA tour. I had a history degree from USNA with the requisite calc and physics courses that were built into the academy curriculum. Timing had a lot to do with it, but not having an engineering degree doesn't necessarily disqualify you. Bolstering your academic record with higher level calc and engineering courses will help.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I knew a lot of it was timing driven, just wasn't sure if taking multi would seriously help. Can't really take physics as Georgetown has a tiny department and not a lot of classes (i.e. you can only take 101 in the Fall and 102 in the spring).

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I always forget that OCS candidates aren't required to have the 2x calc and 2x phys that NROTC/USNA types take.

It's a long-shot, but perhaps you could contact the GW NROTC unit to see what physics classes they accept for midshipmen (they have to be calc-based physics; not physics for art majors). Maybe you could take physics at GW or up at UMCP if you've got the time and cash.

As everyone else has already said, TPS is timing-dependent; however, rocking your JO tour will go a long way to helping you get in. I have a suspicion that TPS doesn't get as many applications as they'd like candidates to believe. Applying as many times as you can assures that your name will be in the hat if/when they need someone from your specific community.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah sounds like trying to get the courses in next semester will be a real pain (already need to take 4 to graduate so taking another 1 or 2 at GW would be a huge load). Maybe if I'm so inclined I can try to whittle away at the physics requirement by taking one next summer before OCS but otherwise I guess I'll just focus on getting accepted and making it to the fleet, and if I'm still interested in TPS during my JO tour I'll find a way to get the necessary classes.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Your JO tour is chockablock with studying for flying. There's very, very little time for other work.