• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Classic Fighter Fling Video

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Google now has one of the classic Tomcat Fighter Fling Videos; the 2003 edition that includes a lot of combat video from OIF and a bit of humor here and there. This was last year that there were a good number of Tomcat squadrons still in business so video came from all the remaining units and was assembled for the annual Fighter Fling formal dinner. Runs 22 minutes and you don't have to like the Tomcat to enjoy it...plenty of stuff blowing up and raging music. Enjoy: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2836117922539678755&q=raikkonen

tjamz

heyjoe said:
Google now has one of the classic Tomcat Fighter Fling Videos; the 2003 edition that includes a lot of combat video from OIF and a bit of humor here and there. This was last year that there were a good number of Tomcat squadrons still in business so video came from all the remaining units and was assembled for the annual Fighter Fling formal dinner. Runs 22 minutes and you don't have to like the Tomcat to enjoy it...plenty of stuff blowing up and raging music. Enjoy: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2836117922539678755&q=raikkonen

I like the part where the guy grabs the ejection switch and his hand is slapped

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:

That was awesome, thanks for posting it.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I have a really hard time figuring out which one i love more....'03 or '04. My most favorite part in '03 is near the end when the tomcat is all dark and the nav's come on with the afterburner....i LOVE it!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Very nice. I guess it proves the old saying: "Fighter pilots make movies........Attack Pilots make HISTORY!!".

Seriously, pretty cool.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
Very nice. I guess it proves the old saying: "Fighter pilots make movies........Attack Pilots make HISTORY!!".

Seriously, pretty cool.

So why not do both? Which is what community did after 1996 when LANTIRN arrived...hauling iron was primary mission after that...more Tomcat guys (& gals) got recognized for dropping bombs (and strafing) than shooting missiles by a long shot...kinda ironic as only Iranians have used the Tomcat in combat and racked up impressive aerial scores the way it was intended to be used whereas its legacy in USN service was 180 out from what was envisioned.

B

Blutonski816

tjamz said:
I like the part where the guy grabs the ejection switch and his hand is slapped

It's actually the canopy release, but it makes for a fun animated .gif...
:D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I love the part when the Apllo 13 footage was used to intro the change of mission. Classic! LMAO!

That was quite a miracle the Tomcat dudes did switching it into multi-role. It extended the entire program 15 years or so, probably.

I heard that the USAF was going to hand bombs on F-15Cs. Haven't confirmed it yet. These are the same lame-asses that say "Not a pound for air-to-ground". They aren't even allowed to say "bomb" in their ready room or bar. They say "B-word". Were the Tomcats ever like that?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I love the part when the Apllo 13 footage was used to intro the change of mission. Classic! LMAO!

That was quite a miracle the Tomcat dudes did switching it into multi-role. It extended the entire program 15 years or so, probably.

I heard that the USAF was going to hand bombs on F-15Cs. Haven't confirmed it yet. These are the same lame-asses that say "Not a pound for air-to-ground". They aren't even allowed to say "bomb" in their ready room or bar. They say "B-word". Were the Tomcats ever like that?

Although Tomcat was designed to carry bombs and had a Stores Management System (AWG-15) in every jet for A/G, release problems in tunnel with original racks led to it being abandoned after USMC opted out of Tomcat. It was toyed around with in the fleet briefly in mid 70s and then threat and cost of Tomcat drove it to be a blue water Fleet Air Defense fighter. The DECM was not adequate so the doctrine wasn't to go over the beach at all so, yes, situation was similar to USAF in that regard.

However, Tomcats picked up TARPS role after RA-5C and RF-8G left the fleet and when 6th fleet needed overland Recce over Lebanon, Tomcats were flying a high speed gauntlet every day. Still, Tomcats weren't supposed to go anywhere near SAM sites (knowingly). In 1986, we stayed over the Gulf of Sidra while F-111 and A-6 strikers went feet dry for same attitude that Tomcats stayed feet wet (also because A-6 tactics at time were low and...sorta fast, but they didn't like Tomcats too close as they thought the powerful AWG-9 would act as a beacon for interceptors).

During Desert Shield, it became obvious that with the Cold War over, who needed two squadrons of Tomcats in every air wing for Fleet Air Defense and TARPS? NAVAIR came up with a new bomb rack configuration that avoided the earlier problems. By then the attitude over dropping iron changed for two big reasons:

1) A-6 community was going away and top 30% of aircrews were transitioning into Tomcats and they loved to drop bombs

2) With have Tomcat community going away and little relevance in air wing power projection (air superiority was considered first priority in USAF, but assumed in Navy) so strike was where everyone wanted to be

Still, dropping drop bombs from a platform that could blot out the sun wasn't very practical or prudent. Supposedly, the Tomcat was to be upgraded to a Block 1 Strike configuration to adequately fulfill the A-6 strike mission, but by 1994, budgetary pressure from the so-called peace dividend (in aftermath of end of cold war) resulted in draconian cuts. Then came the unorthodox contractor driven rapid protoyping of LANTIRN Targeting System integration. Overnight, the community shook off the blues and went from a special team assignment warming the bench to back on the first string. The miracle was a bunch of believers getting r done in 200 days from concept to fielding. I feel very privileged to have watched it unfold from day one and known and worked with some true great Americans; some of who really put their careers on the line to make it happen. What a ride!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Awesome post. I learn something new every day. I knew the thumbnail version, but re-inventing the Tomcat was quite a move, politically. I'm glad they pulled it off.

What I meant about being like the F-15 guys was if there was ever a rabid "anti-mud moving" attitude in the community prior to the A-6 guys coming over and the re-invention of the community?

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
I got the DVD (89-04) and love to watch it, It gets better every year.

2003/2004 are tough to pick for best FF, they both kick ass.

You gotta love the one where the VAW-124 guys are just beating the hell out of the cars in the '03 video. The Hornet Eye for the Straight Guy in '04 is pretty good too.

Adam
"VFA-203 Forever"
-Go Gators! VMFA-142-

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Agent Smith was right on about the carrier...

and my other favorite: "Well, what does the Gruman guys think? ---- We can't make any guarantees."

After my 1/C cruise with VF-31, I learned how high the maintenance hour/flight hour ratio could get!